Saturday, July 05, 2008

A Different Sort of 4th of July

Joleesa, Jenna and I decided to go Whittier for the 4th instead of facing Anchorage's crowds. Jody and Jessa worked the night before so they were sleeping. I told the girls we'd leave about 10 am (they would sleep until noon or later if I didn't give them a time). I didn't set my alarm and was surprised that I woke up at 9:07 am. Not like me. Especially I've made myself be a clock watcher in the evening. In Alaska, in the summer you have to be or you don't go to bed until 1 to 2 am. Around here the sun shines brightest and warmest after 9 pm. UGH! So I literally make sure I'm in bed by 11 pm but yet I've still been tired. I'm sure a part of it is that I'm still recovering from that horrible bout with the flu. My appetite's not even back yet (that's ok, I've lost weight and I don't need to gain it back). Sorry, I digress, back to the 4th. We headed out at 10 am and made it to the one way tunnel about 10 minutes before it opened for people to go "in" to Whittier. Now I was there last August (just before school started) in the evening and it was empty, quiet and quaint. This time there were cars galore, but I don't know where all the people were. It was weird. We went into the shops, and ate at a new restaurant (I had the worse halibut ever. It tasted burnt, like the oil they deep fried it in was burnt), Jenna and Joleesa like their meals. But after lunch I really didn't feel very well. We walked a little more then decided to check to see when the tunnel opened to go out. The tunnel opened again at 3 pm and it was about 2:10 pm. Jenna wanted to see the water falls and glacier water so I decided it was in my best interest to drive there. Then we headed back to the tunnel and got home a little after 4 pm. Josh came over and we played Risk (I think I don't like that game, it takes way too much thinking; and like all the games, I lost both times). I vacuumed and picked up the living room, took Jenna home and climbed in bed a little after 11 pm. I read until about midnight. Then I heard the bangs of the fireworks...what are they doing, it's still daylight. Not right!

Today I allowed myself to sleep in until 10 am. I got up and fixed myself a cheese omlet, loaded the washer and dishwasher, made some rhubarb cake (our landlady takes the rhubarb, but she was here yesterday and took it and there was still some left so, I cut some and did rhubarb cake.) We've got youth Bible study at Jessa and Jenna's tonight and I thought I'd take it there. I cleaned the kitchen, now I'm blogging and then I've got to do the state church books. From there I'll shower and then go get Jenna, take some stuff back to Penney's, go to Nordstroms and spend the remainder of my gift certificate ($90; I got a pair of Dansko shoes that cost $109~I could NEVER spend that kind of money of my own; these are the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned. I see why so many ladies and guys where them here in Alaska). Then grocery shop, get supper and then Bible Study.

Nothing big happened this week. I completed the application for the church to get the building. We have to meet with the maintenance man next week to determine where to put the rooms and what size they're to be. But that was about it.

Everyone have a great Sunday service.

2 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

I had a "different" kind of 4th, too. But nice.
I think Whittier is just amazing. There's just that tiny piece of land wedged in between the ocean and the mountain, with a one-way tunnel being the only escape to "bigger space." While I was there I got to thinking about a tidal wave coming in or something. There'd be no way to escape unless you could CLIMB LIKE THE WIND! But it's really quaint there and I liked it a lot. I think I would only go there again, though, if I was also going to take the cruise from there. That 6 hour cruise will never be forgotten! It was so gorgeous! --And we were on the train, so we had to follow the train schedule for when it was its turn to use the tunnel. Strange set-up, but kind of neat!

J Nowling said...

I love Whittier too...but not during the heart of tourist season. It took the quaintness (is that a word) a way and it looked like the tourist town it is.