Sunday, July 20, 2008

Getting A Complex

Lately I've been receiving a lot of teasing about being "old". All in good humour. Some comments very innocent. A couple of weeks ago I went to take my lap top into Best Buy to be looked at as I frequently was getting "the blue screen of death". Josh and Jackie were with me. I didn't leave it for repairs as they needed my power cord. Well yesterday I finally went to drop it off and I was by myself. The same guy waited on me, and he said he remembered me that I had come in with my grand kids...ugh...my children maybe, but my grand kids. Come on I know I have gray hair but do I look old enough to have GRAND KIDS that are young adults? Then Friday I got an AARP membership card in the mail. Me, not Brother Nowling but me. And it referenced all the benefits I'll receive as I turn 50. He turns 50 in January, I don't turn 50 until December of 2009. Actually I think it's funny as do the young people at church, and the young people I work with. I'm actually the oldest sales rep at the Anchorage Daily News. Only my boss and the VP of advertising is older than me. It's weird and funny both. I thank the Lord for our young people. They keep my spirit young. I'm so glad He has blessed me by my girls being close to me, and allowing me to work young people no matter how old I am. Every now and then, I think I'm too old for this, but my heart won't let me stop. I don't pretend to be young like they are, but I enjoy being with them and hope that I don't keep them from having good, clean fun.

Yesterday, we had our monthly youth activity. We went biking on the coastal trail. I right away said I wanted a tandem bike, but didn't know who I would get to ride it with me. I didn't have to wait for long, Josh right away said he wanted to. He actually made it sound like I was giving him this great "opportunity". I wasn't sure how I'd do physically. I was so wanting to do it. And it was great. First the Lord turned the cool rainy weather we'd been having all week, into a beautiful sunny, breezy afternoon. It was PERFECT weather! We got our bikes and headed out. Every month a different youth is in charge of the activity and July was Tim Osborne's, so he chose the bike riding. Great choice Tim. So it was Tim (on roller blades), Josh, Jessa, Jenna, Megan(brought her own bike), Micah (on roller blades) and myself. All the "J's" rented bikes with Josh and I renting the tandem. It was quite the experience. Josh of course took the front, which made it so I couldn't see in front of me. My handle bars were just that, just handle bars. No steering or brakes. Josh had the control. I did have to pedal in sinc with him and we could slow too much or it was hard to keep the bike steady. Megan and Jenna were stopping along the way taking pictures, which was fine. Micah and Tim watched out for all of us as they moved on their blades. I had thought that I would be able to have times when I wouldn't have to pedal, but not so. Josh pedals moved mine. So I had to pedal. It was ok. We actually were ahead of everyone else. When I got too tired we'd stop at the next bench. From what we could tell we bike 8 miles total. Starting downtown and stopping at Earthquake park. We were going to have our devotional at Earthquake but the mosquitoes "owned" that area so we headed back and was going to do as we enjoyed Coldstone ice cream (but Tim had to leave...so no devotions; we've got to make sure that doesn't happen again). Any way, all and all I did ok until heading back. We were on the very last hill and decided it was too steep, we would walk it. When we stopped, and I stood to the ground, my leg gave totally out and I was on the ground. Poor Josh didn't know what to do as he was trying to hold the bike up. Fortunately Tim came up just in time. He helped me up. I had to get my legs back before I could start walking. Made it up to the park in downtown and set on the bench while Josh took the bike on up another hill and brought the car back as we waited for everyone else. All in all, everyone had a great time AND besides my bottom being sore from the seat, I'm really not hurting at all. When we first got done, my bad arm was hurting really bad along with the shoulder (my right arm doesn't go out straight, and even though Josh raised his seat, which raised my handle bars, I still was having to stretch my arm more than it wanted to go). I was really afraid when I got up this morning I wouldn't be able to move, but I actually felt good.

Well, tonight is my youth service so I need to get somethings together for it. I'm looking for another good time with our youth.

And no matter what anyone says...I'm only as old as my spirit ~ smile.

11 comments:

Netty said...

So nice!
Bro. Sutton and I felt very old this weekend. We went to Alabama convention. It had been nine years and these kids who were gleaners when we pastored and worked in the state are married with kids.LOL!
We felt aged!

J Nowling said...

Sis Net, I know "old" that way as we pastored the Lewis' kids. I've always said it wasn't my age or my body that made me old, it was the teenagers we pastored not becoming parents that made me old...I really don't mind getting old that way ~ smile.

Vicki Smith said...

I'm 52 and I've been receiving senior discounts at restaurants for 17 years already! HA! Oh well. Everybody always thinks we're much older than we are. Maybe it's all that "wisdom". Yeah, that's it! That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :-)

mek said...

Hey Jada! It's me. Mitzi! I hope I got this right. I just signed up to beable to talk with you guys but I don't know If I did it right. So here it goes. I will see if this shows up. Have a great day. Love you and miss you.

mek said...

I DID IT!!!!!! Look out world here I come!

Vicki Smith said...

Hey, Sister Mitzi! How nice to have you join the fun! Hope to see you around Blogland, and we'll all be together at the Assembly in just TWO WEEKS! WA HOO!!!

Vicki Smith said...

...I'm ASSUMING it's Mitzi Thompson. Right?

J Nowling said...

Sister Vicki, I think it's the gray hair. I get senior discounts frequently too. Like I said, I think it's funny.

Yippee, Sister Mitzi (yes Thompson). You finally got it set us. I am soooo glad. Are you still not going to be able to make it to the assembly. Jody is actually going. Whohoo. I sure hope you'll be able to go. Love and miss you too.

Tammy Washburn said...

Hey, Is the church giving Heather and Jeremy a baby shower? If so, when is it?

Thanks,
Tammy

J Nowling said...

No. I mentioned to her wanting to give her. And she basically had other plans.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, She's shy and doesn't like a lot of attention showered on her. We just give her the attention anyway. Ha!