Saturday, November 28, 2009

Growing Pains

Our family is feeling the growing pains as we go into the holidays. Marriage for Jessa means she will be starting her own traditions. With Joleesa expecting her mind is on her baby. We have a son-in-law and our granddaughter's daddy/Joleesa's boyfriend to add into our celebrations. We had everyone here for Thanksgiving. PTL Dallas came, stayed and visited (sucking on a pink pacifier while watching movies ~ grinning and shaking head ~I'm glad he felt comfortable enough to goof off). It was a good Thanksgiving but it was difficult for me to figure out what our three grown girls roles were suppose to be on Thanksgiving. Unfortunately they're not ones to define them on their own. Well maybe they did; no longer kids so I'm not to tell them what to do but they're not ones to just pitch in. Maybe because in the past I've made them feel like if they didn't do it my way it was wrong. That was never my intention. I guess I just hoped there were some things that I've done over the years that they liked enough to do it because their mom did it. Jody fit into his role perfectly as he goofed off at the table keeping everyone at ease.

Now as we go in the Christmas season I'm feeling the growing pains even greater. The shopping is quite the challenge but add to that to having two adult girls in our home that would like to have a home of their own to be decorating puts a subdued excitement on it. See the three girls taste is as different as their personalities. Jessa loves the rustic, old fashion Christmas decorations and is thrilled to be able to decorate her place to that theme. Jenna is the more modern, while Joleesa seems to be the more traditional. I am one that doesn't mind CHANGE when it comes to decorating. I'm ok with whatever they want to do. I just want them to come together and enjoy doing it and enjoy doing it together. My days of refereeing SHOULD be over but it doesn't seem to be. Mom the peacemaker is still my major role. Thus taking away some of the fun.

I'm sitting here in the living room with baby stuff in the dining room next to an undecorated Christmas tree and a few decorations sitting around; we need to bring the rest of the Christmas stuff up. We all want everything to be decorated but no one seems to be motivated enough to do the heavy work that comes with it. Jody works weekends while I work the week days making it very difficult for the two of us to do it. I don't have the strength to do it myself so we'll see how long it takes to all come together.

I know the growing pains are only just beginning. I also know that they're not a bad thing it's just another thing for me to find my way through. My apologies for the melancholy spirit. I'll work through it. Lord help me find my way as only You can do.

3 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

I don't know what to say in response to your post, but I LOVE your new template! :-D And I know you'll all find your places and take your seats and enjoy the rest of the ride.

Netty said...

I guess now is a bad time to ask if we can spend Christmas night with ya! (Just kidding! We got a hotel! LOL!)(Ok it was a bad joke, but didn't you crack a little smile anyway?:P)

Pam said...

I didn't even know that Jolessa was married or having a baby. How exciting