Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Jury Duty

This weekend I turn 50 years old. I almost made it 50 whole years without doing jury duty. Almost as today my number was called along with 600 others. Once you get there you are no longer a number they actually refer to you by your name. I was in the first group of 50 plus potential jurors sent to a court room. From there I became a part of the first group of 14 potential jurors. The DA spent 1 hour asking questions of individuals. I was only the only individual that didn't get questioned. Kind of strange. Tomorrow the defending attorney ask questions. This is really scary for me. I have said I NEVER wanted to do jury duty as I am so afraid of being a part of possibly making a mistake and putting an innocent person away. Then I get called to this case. A serious criminal case. You sit there looking at the defendant. As much as I haven't wanted to do this, I kept feeling such a drawing in my spirit that God wants me on this one. If I could give you some details I know many of you would understand where I'm coming from. As I sat there listening to the charges while looking at the person I realized this was real life not television. My stomach churns at the seriousness of it. If I get selected as a juror it will be a 3 week case. Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursday 8 am to 1:30 pm and Wednesdays all day until December 23rd. I get paid from my job but I need to go in every day and cover things that my co-workers can't. It'll make for a very busy December, but my evenings and weekends will be free until the deliberations. The whole process is very interesting. The attorneys are quite young and it was evident that the DA was quite nervous. Some times the jesting was border on irritating when you consider the seriousness of the case. I couldn't help but think if I was the defendant and the people that held so much of my future in their hands was joking around; I really wouldn't be a happy camper. But then again I've never been around a possible criminal before.

Bottom line, I need your prayers. If I get selected, I believe this will be one of the scariest if not THE scariest thing I've done. I truly want to serve the Lord in this a very new role for me.

2 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

I'll be praying God will give you His wisdom.
Tomorrow I have to report to the Court House to turn in my information to serve on jury duty. They do it weird here--first they summon you to come sign up for your 4 month duty. Then you're on call for four whole months and have to call in every few days (on their specified schedule) to see whether or not you have to go in for possible selection for the case. You might have to serve on multiple cases during the 4 months. I sign in tomorrow and have to serve January through April. --I may be requesting prayer for wisdom a LOT from January through April.

J Nowling said...

Hey Sister Vicki I think the difference for your jury duty is you may have federal or grand jury duty. I was district.