Sunday, December 06, 2009

A Great Start to my 50th Year

There's a book out there called the Language of Love (or something like that). It talks about how different people are when it comes to the language of love. Whether they're one of words, of actions, gifts, etc. Not that long ago Jessa and I were discussing which language we speak. Everyone is so different. Some, words are enough. Others like to have something done for them and others like gifts. I'm a gift person. In saying that it makes me sound shallow but I hope that's not the case. I love taking the time to find the perfect gift (or card) for a person. I can shop for days for one person in hopes of finding that "special" gift for them. It doesn't mean it's something they've asked for either. It's something that I listen to them in and try to dig into their personality and find that "special UNIQUE" gift that they will love AND will truly surprise them. I like the same in return. It's not a matter of the cost, the size, etc. It's a matter of KNOWING me! My girls did great this year. First Jenna. She is one that gets gifts for people way in advance and can't stand to wait to give it to them so gives it right away. She bought mine several weeks ago but resisted and didn't give it to me until last night. I've said how for many years when I was in college and as young adult my mom (and mother-in-law) bought me things to decorate the house with. Then it stopped for various reasons but I've been saying I'd like some new things but can't justify it. She listened and bought me BEAUTIFUL salt/pepper shakers in a holder that are deep red with pointsettas (matches my dining room table settings) and elegant pine cone candle holders.

Joleesa comes in last night with my gift but won't let me open it. This morning when I pull it out of the bag, she's got the tissue paper rubber band around the gift so I couldn't even snoop (bummer). She tells me there's a card (she doesn't usually do cards). I open the card, and my little girl shares her heart to mother in such a way any mother would weep. Then I open the gift and it's a music box (like I've always wanted but never told them because I wanted them to WANT to give it to me) that says "MOTHER - My heart is filled with love & appreciation for your guidance, support & inspiration. The Lord bless you and keep you. Numbers 6:24" This could not have been a better gift for Joleesa to give in her whole life, but most importantly at this time of her life. Also she had a yellow coffee cup that says "There's no love like Grandmas". Not a big screaming of being a grandma but a quiet celebration of it.

Then I get to church and our young church sings Happy Birthday to me. And you have to realize, I usually lead the singing...everyone started singing, in their own key and to a certain extent their own version. It was like about 14 individual songs of happy birthday. It was awesome.

Then I get home, and Levi gives me Jessa's and his gift. Now since they've got married they've gotten about 20 beautiful quilts that I've coveted and begged for (I believe his aunt has made some of them). They gave me the one that matches our bedroom with burgundy and green. Jody is going to take the quilt my sister made us probably about 20+ years ago and get it mended and dry cleaned and then pack it away for safe keeping.

As far as what Jody got me, we don't buy for each other on our birthdays, we just are allowed to go out and get something we want. Although I didn't do it with the intent of it being my birthday, but I found the movie "Newsies" and so today we sat back and watched it.

Then I received a phone call from Minnesota...as I answered it I hear the whole Thompson family singing happy birthday to me. One by one they wished me a happy birthday. The best wish was from Dorn...he wanted to send me a cane (Dorn I'll get one and use it on you the next time I see you). Mitzi then shared with me how Dorn was sharing with his family his first memories of me. They were all precious. Thompsons if you're reading this...what you did will be one of my greatest memories.

Top all of this with all the birthday wishes from around the world (England friends too) on Facebook. It has been great.

I laid in bed this morning asking Jody if we could just skip today. As I can't believe I'm 50. That was my parents. Christ was going to come back before I ever reached this age. But it's here and 50 is the year of Jubilee and with becoming a grandma (that just still seems so weird)it truly will be that for me.

The day is still not over. But it sure has been a good one. I thank God for my dear family and friends at home, at church and around the world. I am truly blessed.

5 comments:

Tammy Washburn said...

Happy Happy Birthday!

Jessa Stephens said...

okay.... so I cried while reading about Jolessa's gift. Oh great... I think I'm going to again just thinking about it!

Love you! Happy Birthday!

Vicki Smith said...

HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Congratulations on your YEAR OF JUBILEE!!! My 50th birthday was my all-time favorite! I can't imagine EVER having a better one! I was so excited to turn 50. I felt like FINALLY I was grown up. :-) Well, mostly.

J Nowling said...

Thank you for your birthday wishes. Sister Vicki, thanks for the e-card too. So perfect...it gives me permission to keep saying I'm a young woman.

Netty said...

Happy Birthday! We will have to check out Benni Hannas in a few weeks!