Sunday, December 07, 2008

Great Birthday!

It has been a very busy last few days. My body is truly wearing down from the lack of sleep but it has been worth it. This is been one of the best birthday's I've had in many years. Not because of the gifts (I'll talk about them in a little bit), but because of family. These days it is very difficult to get the three girls and Jody and I together at the same time and I really wanted that for my birthday. I not only had them but Levi as well.

It started Friday night (even though my birthday wasn't until Saturday). I walk in the door and Brother Nowling points to my chair and tells me to try them on...he got me Alaska Airlines polo shirt, fleece sweatshirt and an awesome jacket (all with various Alaska Airlines logos on them). Now to let you know how special this alone was, for years the two of haven't bought birthday gifts for each other we just pick out something for ourselves, but he not only bought these for me, but he had to go to a lot of effort get it from AA their employee store is open very limited hours. I was trying to help Jessa get dinner on the table as she and Brother Nowling had band service at 7 pm. He is so wanting me to try these on, so I tried the jacket on first in a hurry and got the zipper stuck. He's trying to help me and it's not happening, Jessa calling for help in the kitchen so Joleesa comes and gets poor mom unstuck (is that a word?). Then I go get the macaroni and cheese in the oven and then try on the other two. They all fit perfect. Then Jenna walks in the door and she can't resist giving her gift as it was too big to wrap so she brings in two boxes taped together with beautiful touch lamps that have light houses on them. They are for our bedroom. I had eagle ones that got left behind in Wisconsin as I was confident they wouldn't make it one piece, so this is something I've really been wanting. Brother Nowling, Jessa and Levi head off to band service while I clean the kitchen and Jenna starts putting the tree together. Joleesa gets home and she heads down to the crawl space to bring up the decorations but the tubs are too big and heavy for her and to try to get up so she starts handing thing up to me one by one so we can get started on decorating. Jessa heads off to work (poor girl had to work 9:30 pm to 2:30 am) and when band service is over Brother Nowling and Levi head home to help us. The rest of the decorations are brought up, Brother Nowling chooses to put my lamps together and leave the decorating to us. Levi, Jenna and Joleesa do the tree with lots of laughs along the way, while I'm hanging the stockings and putting the other decorations around. Along the way Joleesa brings out her gift and says she wants to give it to me now and when I say let's wait until tomorrow she's telling I have to stay up until midnight then and sits it in middle of the room to see if I can resist the temptation. Throughout the night she keeps asking "you want to open it now don't you?" It was so cute and sweet of her. Finally when all the decorating was done and we were all sitting down, it was about 11:15 pm and I said I'm not staying up until midnight so I'll open it but no one had the energy to get out of their chairs to bring it to me. Finally when Brother Nowling walked in to the room they had him bring it to me and it was a beautiful sweater AND the reason she wanted me to open it; a Michael W. Smith Christmas CD. We always have Christmas music playing while decorating and she was wanting me to play that. I goofed on that one, but we still had a lot of fun. Then there's Jessa and Levi's gift. I knew they got it in VA as Levi called and said they'd got my gift and I was really going to like it. Then Jessa gets on the phone and says but it's gotta be a birthday and Christmas gift because of what it cost. So funny. Then we're headed to church Wednesday night and Levi asks me if I'm curious as to what they got me. There's a couple of things you've got know here; this is the first I've met Levi AND Jessa has missed my birthday on occasion in the past. Left at that, due to the youth activity in the evening I said I wanted us to go out for a birthday breakfast to Qwennies (an Alaskan Restaurant). Now Jessa had asked me when I wanted their gift and I told them to wait until breakfast, so seeing as everyone else had given me their gifts, before we headed out for breakfast I said why don't I just open it now so we don't have to carry it in and out...ah she forgot it at her apartment and needed to wrap it. So funny. As the day got busy I wound up not getting it until after the youth activity but you know what, it was worth the wait. It's a bell symphonium (music box with 16 discs; 8 Christmas and 8 classical). We saw a huge one in a KY gift shop years ago on our way to the assembly and then we've seen the small ones at Cracker Barrel in the past. I've even bought a CD of the music. So it was very cool, and Levi picked it out without having actually met me yet.

So why was all of this so special? I am one that when I buy cards or gifts I try very hard to think of the person and find something that is perfect for them. That's what my family did this year. From spending time with me, to the gifts. It was all very special!

We then had the youth at the church last night decorating the church tree. It's a very pretty tree that I was able to buy for $20 from one of the ladies at work that got laid off and is moving to CA. It's one of those tall skinny trees. I love it. But the night didn't start out too well. The stand was missing the two bolts that hold the tree up straight. We were having a dinner and someone forgot the drinks, and I forgot bowls, and we ran out of hooks for the ornaments so people were running to the store. But the good news was we had all but two of our youth there (Josh and Jeremy, we really missed you) and we had two visitors. While everyone was eating I shared a devotion on Mary and her emotions in having been chosen, the responsibility, the fears, etc that had to be a part of her in baring the Son of God. There was good participation and a lot of great reflection.

We came home, and I was already exhausted but the girls and Levi and I sat around visiting. I find it so hard to go to bed when we have company. I really want to get to know this young man who has become so very special to my daughter. So it was 1 am before I went to bed and I was so tired but I couldn't sleep. It was after 3 am before I finally fell asleep.

Then this morning I got up finished up the bulletins, put the makings for Swiss Steak in the oven and Brother Nowling, Levi and I headed out for church. Once again it was a great SS class. I love our young people and teaching SS. I love to bring it home and get them involved and I'm rarely disappointed. Then we went into a great worship of "Adoring Him" and then Levi preached a whirlwind message. What I mean by that is this is a young man that waste no time behind the altar. He hits the floor running with what God has given him. Jessa then followed it up with a special song (her at the piano and Micah on the guitar) during the altar call. God was present and it felt real good. God is going to use this couple in a great ways. I am so proud of them already.

Tonight we're having a singsperation and then the youth have their play practice while Brother Nowling and I get some time alone with Levi at Village Inn (oh yeah ~ smile)and the rest will meet up with us afterwards.

Hopefully tomorrow we'll get to play some games and I believe Levi leaves out on Wednesday.

Thank you all for the birthday wishes. And a special thanks to my family who made the day special and really made me feel special. It's been a great weekend that I don't want to end.

1 comments:

Amy Anders said...

Wow! sounds like you had a wonderful birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bro. Levi and Sis. Jessa, just as you said, will be a HUGE blessing wherever they go. I see God using them now even before they're married!!!!