Sunday, November 30, 2008

Treasures

Job refers to snow as "treasures". Well this weekend we received LOTS of treasures. It has been beautiful to look out on but treacherous to be out driving on. I still can't use to the fact that Alaska just doesn't do much plowing and NO salting and very little sanding. Yes, we're allowed to have studded tires, but when you have to plow through snow the studs aren't enough. We have had our fill of having to unbury our cars wherever we go as the snow has been like the energizer bunny, it just keeps coming and coming. I had to go grocery shopping and I didn't think I'd ever get the cart out to the car as I pushed, and shoved it through the snow. I was so afraid it was going to tip over and by the time I got to the car I was breathing so hard I felt like I had ran a mile.

So what happens when the snow stops? Below zero weather. I'd rather have more treasurers then the bitter cold. And if anyone tells me what do expect you live in Alaska, I'll, I'll, I don't know what I'll say or do ~smile. I've said it before, Alaska's weather (Anchorage any way) is not much different than Menomonie, WI. So I'm use to it, but it's a longer season here than in Wisconsin. Considering we got our fist snow in October, we're in for a lonnnnnnng winter. But with it comes so much beauty.



Have a good week everyone.

6 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

I would so love to have just a little "treasure" here. I haven't seen snow on the ground outside my house in over 2 years. I got to see some snow on the ground at Becki's house this past April, but I really miss looking out my own window and seeing some--sipping hot cocoa, coffee with yummy creamer, or hot cider. That's so relaxing to me.

J Nowling said...

Sister Vicki - Add the Christmas lights, and a fireplace and relaxing it defnitely is...as long as you don't have to go out in. I'd really like to share it Sister, if there was a way I would but the only way I can share it is...for you to come see us in Alaska. Have you ever been here in the winter?

Jessa Stephens said...

It's Sooooo weird here in VA....christmas lights are up.....christmas music is playing......BUT its still feels like fall here!! I think i'm going to actuelly enjoy the snow when i get back!! It'll feel more like christmas! The freezing cold on the other hand....not so much......

LOVE YOU!!!!!

Vicki Smith said...

No, I've never been to Alaska in the winter. I was in Bethel on the 4th of July, though, when it was freezing cold. But I've also seen snow falling on the 4th of July on a mountain pass in Colorado. :-) --A winter trip to Alaska would be fun! It would be just my luck that the weather would all of a sudden turn unseasonably warm and there would only be dirty snow that was melting into big puddles and no fresh flakes falling. ;-)

Amy Anders said...

Jessa- I would love to experience a Christmas in Alaska. I think only once in the 9 years we've lived here in VA I think it's only snowed once on Christmas :( If it snows only 2 inches here all the school systems close down, it's quite funny how people get really scared. When we went to Minnesota for the Youth Retreat back in Jan it was weird having about 4-5 inches of snow there the whole time we were there!

Vicki Smith said...

Happy, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!