Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Exhausted but Refreshed

This past weekend marked men's retreat 2010. Since Brother Sutton was coming in for men's retreat, Sister Annette came in and stayed with us. It was so good having her around. Friday night, before Brother Nowling and Brother Sutton left for men's retreat we went to Red Robin for dinner. Then Sister Net, Jenna, and my boy Braden headed over for a pedicure and a mini-manicure. Ohhhh I loved the pedicure. I had a rough week at work, playing catch up from my vacation, covering my co-workers desk while he was on vacation, ending one month and beginning another month. On the way to the restaurant I even got called back to work. So I was desperately needing to relax. Oh the spa for my feet, the massage of the feet and the legs, the great company and even the staff as they had us cracking up as the owner and his wife worked on me. I didn't realize they were husband and wife until they were almost done. She was doing my pedicure and had a mask on, he was doing my hands. He was telling so many stories about his age, how long he'd been married,etc. You could tell from her eyes that she was grinning but she didn't say a word. I mentioned that and he said her words were too expensive they usually cost him diamonds, or gold. I should caught it from that but remember I had been stressed and was trying to relax (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it). Then when he walked away I asked her if any of the staff was related (they'll all Vietnamese). She said just him and her and slow as I was, I said brother and sister and she said slowly husband and wife. We laughed so hard. It was so fun.

We then headed to the house and Net got Braden ready for bed and Jenna watched him while we went and busted in on men's retreat. Not really, we went to the hotel after their service for Net to get some cash from her husband. He tried to follow them to Village Inn but my husband's eyes told me I better not.

Saturday was a day of shopping for Net to get supplies. I enjoyed just walking around in her and Braden's company. My little boy is such a good baby. After shopping we came back to the house to rest on weary bodies. Then we left Braden with Joleesa while we went to Costco. When we came we began our ladies night. Megan out did herself with lasagna, biscotti, pasta salad, homemade mozzarella sticks, chocolate cookies and Net used her skills to buy wonderful cheesecake. We then watched 7 Brides for 7 Brothers and August Rush. It was great to spend time with another cutie Lillian, and then of course Heather, Megan, Jenna, Joleesa, and Jessa even made it. It was fun. Oh and God wonderfully touched Net's migraine. When we came back from Costco she had a migraine that was causing her to vomit. I texted Brother Nowling and he had the men pray. Within the hour God had touched her and she came up to eat with us and enjoy the time together.

As I sat there Saturday night I had moments of feeling overwhelmed at my responsibility as mother, pastor's wife and older woman to be an example to these young mothers. I continue to pray for wisdom and along with that wisdom strength as I want to help anywhere I can.

Sunday it was just ladies for church. God put a message on me about the process of being a Godly woman (if a man was to have come, God would've had to help me tweak it because I felt like it was ladies retreat). Heather, Lillian, Jenna, Joleesa, Megan, Net and Braden were there. There were several times that our two little ones were crying and I couldn't help but think what it was going to be like with 3 crying babies and a toddler. It could get mighty loud in there as the acoustics are strong in our building.

Sunday night the men were back. Some had headed out but we had Johnny Furlong and Isaiah Peter there. We had a good turn out Sunday night but more importantly the presence of the Lord was very present. From worship, to the altar, to the message to the close. Exhausted from the weekend but truly refreshed.

2 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

Sounds like you had a Men's Retreat Colorado style--where you get rid of the guys for a weekend so you can party! LOL Glad you had a nice time. Sounds like fun.

Unknown said...

it was bruschetta, not biscotti, though i would LOVE to try my hand at that..

the whole weekend was so refreshing... it really did feel like a mini-Ladies' Retreat, what between the fellowship Saturday night and your message on Sunday. It was so nice, and exactly what we all needed.

And the worship was wonderful Sunday night. It was especially wonderful for me because I was feeling really horrible during the beginning of service, but once I just let go and concentrated on Him, instead of how I was feeling.. well, wouldn't you know, I felt better! PTL!

Hmm.. I wish that we could get the building manager to install a door there to the nursery. I know the walls are thin, but a door would do a lot to block out some of the noise. We need to get that room finished here in the next month too, joey and i don't have too much longer!