Friday, February 26, 2010

WOW!!!! I am a grandmother.

I may not have all the facts, or have all the facts right but here's the story as I remember pieces, knowing there is MUCH more that occurred but my brain's to tired as is my body to remember....
It started Tuesday night at 5:30 pm. Joleesa came home from work and was laying on the couch and she said she was having contractions that were different than anything she had before. We began timing them and they were consistently about 8 minutes a part. Dallas arrived and he took over timing them and keeping her busy. She didn't want to have this be false labor so I, along with many at work had told her to walk. Our living room, kitchen and dining room are all open she started walking around it circles with Dallas behind saying right, left, right, left and cracking jokes. A contraction would hit and she would be bend over the couch breathing and crying. This continued until at 2 am when the attractions were 4-5 minutes a part and I called the maternity ward and they told me to get in NOW because if they got any closer together we'd have her be taken in ambulance. We moved quickly and got her in. She was dilated to two and 90% effaced. The nurse wanted her to walk for an hour. So Dallas and I joined her and she would walk but the contractions were 3-4minutes a part and so intense. After 45 minutes her hip and lower back were hurting so bad we went back to the room. She now was dilated to 4 and 100% effaced. They began to admit her. It was when we got to the birthing room the big teddy bear anesthesiologist came and gave her the epidural. That's when it hit me. This was MY BABY. As I watched him, towards the end I started getting light headed and started feeling overwhelmed so I walked out. I needed a hug from my husband. I went out to the waiting area where Jody, Jenna, Jessa and Levi were waiting. I didn't think about what they would think when I came out crying...so as I saw the fear in their faces I quickly told them everything was ok. I just was feeling a moment of overwhelm ... I'm not sure what. Soon afterward Dallas was coming out to check on me. Some where in the time line Joleesa said she was feeling sick to stomach. I didn't think much of it as she had said she was nauseated several times and nothing happened. I was heading out the door to give the family the up date and Dallas was saying she's about to throw up what do I do. I quickly yelled for a nurse and came back in trying to find a basin but couldn't so I grabbed a bunch of paper towels but I was too late, Dallas (who has a weak stomach for vomit and other similar things) was holding his hand out and she was throwing up in it. I gave him the paper towels as the nurse hands me a basin. From then on Dallas began struggling. As she began to progress Dallas made a mad dash for the bathroom and he was throwing up (not just a little either). This had a couple more times. Joleesa told him not to worry about trying to be up there with her that she understood and if he needed to leave she was ok...he stayed on the couch by her bed. After about 18 hours of labor the pushing began. Dallas was either laying on the couch or had his hand stretched out to her holding her hand. By this time tears are flowing steadily down my cheeks as I kept saying this is my baby having a baby. The adrenaline kicked in for Dallas and he was there at the very end encouraging her. After 50 minutes of pushing out comes our little grand-daughter. I dial Jenna's phone and put it on speaker so the family, who are in the waiting room can hear her first cries. Different ones ask her name and they don't answer. A few minutes pass and I ask them and Joleesa tells Dallas to say it, he says ... Savannah Lynn. No matter what girls name they chose they were going to have Lynn (which is my middle name) but Jody and I really wanted Savannah so I called the family and told the family and I guess he was ecstatic. When they put that little girl into my little girls arms the tears were coming hard and fast. I was and am so PROUD of Joleesa. She's had a tough 9 months. But she walked them in the Lord's forgiveness. Some times feeling a lone, and constantly making her thanks to God be known. I am sooooo thrilled to be a grandmother (although it still sounds strange) but whether anybody understands it or not, I so want to be there for my daughter(s) however they need me. I sent Dallas home and I spent the night with Joleesa and Savannah. I got home about an hour ago. It has been a long, exciting, stressful, amazing couple of days. Tomorrow Joleesa and Savannah come home. For those of you who are not on facebook here's a look at my new grand-daughter:

Savannah Lynn
Born: Wednesday, 2/24/10 (on my dad's 86th birthday)
1:25 pm
7 lbs 3.5 oz
20" long
Just minutes old


My precious lamb


I tried to post more pictures but blogger started be sluggish and I'm exhausted; so more will come later.

PTL for LIFE!!!

4 comments:

Momma Tammi said...

Congratulations! Savannah is beautiful...grandbabies melt your heart and draw you closer to your own child! God is good!

Vicki Smith said...

I'd attended several births and coached other women through labor and delivery, but when it was MY DAUGHTER I was a basket case! It's SOOOO different when it's YOUR DAUGHTER giving birth. Overwhelming praise and awe accompany the birth of a child. Praise God for bringing all of you through the event. Congrats!

Tammy K. said...

I was nearly in tears reading the birth story. Babies and birth are so amazing. You can't explain it to people that have never seen a birth. I am so happy everything turned out perfect and you have a perfect baby granddaughter. She is beautiful. What a blessing. #2 ina few months. Parying for Jessa alraedy.

J Nowling said...

Drawing closer to your own children is so true...and such a HUGE amount of love for both of them.

God was and is soooo good.

Tammy I am excited about Jessa baby. I am glad there's a few months between them so I can compose myself before it starts all over again. Wow!