Monday, May 11, 2009

My job has been slow; but evenings full.

Well this past week in the midst of the business we determined we were going to take the time and enjoy the beautiful weather. Thursday night we went for a walk on the trail near our current house. Brother Nowling, Jenna and Matt kept pushing me. There were times my hips hurt so bad I could cry. I would stop and massage them and then continue on. I actually slept pretty good that night but when I woke up my lower back where I have severe arthritis was really paining. But it felt good to be outside with family enjoying God's beauty. Jenna got some great pictures.

Then Friday night we took a driver to Hatcher's Pass. I couldn't believe Matt hadn't been there. Jenna hadn't as she never seemed to be available whenever we went. Every season of the year Hatcher's Pass has a different beauty. The snow wasn't totally gone but the snow was melting off the mountains and the Little Susisitna (sp?) was beautiful and the trees were budding. Jenna got great pictures there too.

Then Saturday meant doing the church books and starting our packing. We boxed up all our books. All the knickknacks in our bedroom and office, stuffed animals, sheets and blankets, some of the towels, my tea cups and tea pots, and misc things. I really think it's easier just to pack and move all at one time. We stopped about 2 pm and Jenna and I went shopping for Jessa's shower and camp while Joleesa took off to be with her boyfriend and Brother Nowling napped. Oh by the way, I don't think I ever told you how I got a call from Alaska Airlines on Wednesday night just after hanging up from Brother Nowling. They told Jenna that he needed me to come pick him and take him to the hospital as he hurt his thumb bad. As I headed out I called him and apparently he somehow hurt his thumb in his locker at work (he had no idea how) and it was bleeding heavily and his nail was just barely on. I took him the urgent care. Matt, Josh and Jackie met me there. Matt stayed in and helped the doctor take his thumb nail off, clean out the broken cuticle and put his thumb nail back in so his nail would grow back. It was gross and painful. I guess when the nail was taken off and it exposed all those nerves ending that never are exposed to air and he felt a fire on his thumb. It was quite painful. Anyway, he had some nights of a throbbing thumb but it's doing much better now.

Then today, mother's day. We had to be out of the house today for the land lady to show it so Brother Nowling went to the girls apartment to sleep while Joleesa, Jenna, (Jessa had to work), Matt, Megan, Micah, Josh and Jackie helped me celebrate Mother's day with a picnic at Eklutna Lake. Once again it was beautiful. We picked up steak, chicken, potato salad, chips and Jenna bought watermelon (but we saved that) and chocolate cake that I won at the grocery store during a cake walk. Oh yeah another story. I was grocery shopping yesterday and their pictures of cakes with numbers on them on the floor throughout the store. I heard them announce for the kids to find a cake picture and stand on it to win their mother a cake. A boy won a cake and I thought that was it. Then I was standing by the milk cooler and talking to a man when they called the number 14. I look down and right by foot was the number 14. The man told me to step on it, but I said it was for kids, then the employees at the bakery were yelling at me to step on it and stay that someone was coming. So I won a chocolate fudge cake. It was a part of our picnic and it was so good. After eating we walked down to the lake it was gorgeous with the glacier above it and some ice still in it, surrounded by mountains. Kershaw, Matt's dog went swimming in it. I tell you Alaska IS the most beautiful state ever. You never get tired of seeing it's beauty. I feel like I stepped into a picture or painting and I have to pinch myself as a reminder that this real. I'm really here. I just love it. Though I know we probably won't be here forever, I don't want to leave this beautiful country that God has placed us. And I love the people that God has placed us over. Every day they all grow dearer to me. I want to thank ALL the youth at church, they made me feel so special today by sharing this day with me.

On one last note; I missed my mom today. It's the first mother's day that I didn't go see her or call her. I truly felt she was smiling over me today and I'm so thankful that she knew that it was God that had sent us to Alaska and had prayed for us until her last day on earth. I am so looking forward to seeing her some day.

5 comments:

Jessa Stephens said...

I'm glad you had such a good day!!!!!!

Netty said...

Glad you had such a nice Mother's Day! Oh and chocolate cake ...
When this baby gets here I am sitting down to a feast of desserts!!!!!!! (The further along I get , the less sweets I am allowed to have.)
Funny you guys have watermelon and the only ones I can find down here are little mini ones that taste awful.
You are right about Alaska and I can't wait to get back there!

Vicki Smith said...

I'm so glad you stuck it out up there long enough to truly fall in love and appreciate the glorious beauty of it all. Now that you're truly in love with it, you have to give it back to God. :-) That's the way it works. I LOVED the last 2 houses we lived in in Colorado and a lot of folks were worried I would be depressed about leaving them. And I LOVED the house in Virginia and everything else about living there. I willingly surrendered those things I loved and left them behind in order to stay in God's will. Funny, I'm not in love with this house at all and could leave it with no problem. This is probably where we'll end up staying! Wherever we are and whatever we do, we have to be willing to hand it over to God--it's His, anyway. It's not ours to keep. Like the song says, "Whatever's mine, He's given to me; it's not my own, but His alone. I will not offer anything that costs me nothing." But for now . . . ENJOY every minute!!!
So sorry about Brother Nowling's accident. OUCH!
Packing and moving. Yuck. But it sounds like it will be worth it!

J Nowling said...

Jessa-It would've been even better if you would've been there.

Annette - Ah the watermelon we got were the mini ones; we haven't ate it yet so we'll see if we like them.

Sister Smith - God has always made it clear when it was time for us to move on and He prepares us for it. I know when it's that time again He'll do it again. Though I love it here; for years we have felt like pilgrims as no place is truly home until we reach that final destination of heaven. And yeah - packing is YUCK, I just want it to be done.

Netty said...

Pilgrims and pastors! Very well put!