Saturday, August 22, 2009

Reminiscing

I've been helping my husband clean out the garage and while he laid down for a nap. It dawned on me had been about a year ago that my mom passed away so I decided to look back at my blog and it was a year ago last Sunday. I began to read over the posts from then forward.

This has been a year of loss (my mom) and gains (a son-in-law). It's been a year of heartaches, trials and tests but it's also been a year of triumph and celebration. I looked back on my mom's passing, funeral and then on to the church moving into it's own building (space) On August 24th the church finally had it's only building. It was great step of faith as we took on rent of $1073/month. I was a nervous wreck as to whether we could do this, but knew we needed to and knowing also that God had provided the space. Our people, 95% young adults, have been awesome in their giving. We had a few months that some struggled making their pledges, and though we got behind (the car wash almost got us out of the red). God has helped us. God honors faithfulness.

Then as I continued moving through my blog, on to ministers convention and revival with Byers. I still remember the strong preaching on love. As I moved on I was reminded of the changes at work and then went on through Thanksgiving and Christmas. The new year brought a lot of sharing about Mt Redoubt with March being eruption after eruption to the point that youth convention in Bethel had to be cancelled. Then April brought a once in a life time mission trip to England (I am really looking forward to seeing some of the dear brothers and sisters at the assembly). May brought looking for a place to live and then June actually moving, camp and Jessa wedding.

As I read through my blog though I saw I shared some of the heartaches, I read many posts of how good God was. How God had blessed in our services. How He proved His faithfulness. Even now I have Christian music playing and Pam Thum's song "Life Is Hard (God is Good)" is playing and it really summed up the last 12 months from August 2008 to now.

Lot's of changes still ahead for us. Lot's of trials, tests, joys and triumphs but I'm not in any of it alone. My God is there with me. He truly proves He never leaves us, nor forsakes us.

By the way bloggers, don't forget to blog. It truly becomes a diary of memories of our lives and those we care about. It helps to remind us of the victories along this pilgrimage.

Well I need to go get my husband up from his nap. We're headed to Popeyes for dinner (not my favorite place due to the spiciness but he has been wanting it) and then going to JC Penneys to get a few things we need for IYC and the assembly. Oh, oh, I don't think I told anyone my husband actually gets to go not only to the assembly by IYC. It's really a miracle. We were flying on positive space (secured seats at n/c due to his working at the airlines) but he couldn't find a flight open for the dates for the assembly. His supervisor was helping him look one night and Thursday, Sept. 3rd had one positive space seat open in the early morning but he works Wednesday nights. His supervisor said she would work for him and listed him. He has Thursday and Friday off so it worked perfect. So I fly in Wednesday and the Williams and Sister Perkins will pick me up and we'll be spending Wednesday evening together and head to IYC Thursday morning (I'm taking the red eye flight Tuesday night so I'm trying to get first class so I can sleep.) Jessa and Levi will fly in at 5 pm Thursday night, Jody and 5:30 pm so they'll drive over to IYC together in time for that evenings service. How cool is that. Then Jenna will fly in on Sunday. (Joleesa won't be going this year. Please pray for her. God knows what all she needs.) I'm so looking forward to IYC and the assembly.

Well off to Popeyes. Have a great Sunday everyone.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

there are several companies that have agreements with blogger/livejournal, etc, so you can download your past blog posts and compile them into a book that they publish, just like a real journal. i'm in the process of doing that since my physical journal has become increasingly more sporadic due to my blogging. blogging is a lot more convenient, but there is something to be said for having it in black-and-white in front of you...

cokelady said...

I love looking back on what all has happened, good and bad. It's good for us, I think. I use my blog as a diary and try to print it out at the end of each year. HA. I did that the first year. I've fallen a little behind. ;-)

It has been quite an eventful year for you guys! I'm AMAZED at the price you guys have to pay to rent a building up there. WOW. I'm more amazed at your young people being so willing to help bear the load like they do. GOD BLESS THEM--and all of you! You're right, God does honor our sacrifices.

Vicki Smith said...

I'm so ashamed of myself--Becki beat me commenting on your blog. *hanging head* She hardly EVER comments.
Praise God for all of His goodness and His mercy! --It's good now and then to take a trip down Memory Lane and recount God's blessings and provision. It's encouraging to remind ourselves that God has ALWAYS provided in the past and He will always provide in the future, no matter how bleak things may initially appear. --I woke up this morning thinking how horrid it must be for those people who don't believe in a Sovereign, Omnipotent God and Creator of all living. How do they face each new day relying only on their own strength and wisdom? There are times the devil tries to make the Christian feel hopeless, but we have the comfort of knowing God is in control and will take care of our problems if we're submitted to Him. When the sinner feels hopeless, well, there's NO HOPE. No remedy. How GRATEFUL I am to know Jesus!

J Nowling said...

I have not shared all my "deepest" thoughts on my blogs, but there are moments that I needed to share with the blogland family. I have a book journal that on occasion is for those deep times that I need to talk God in print and I don't think my family even knows about that. As long as blogger doesn't close I love going through it electronically.

Sister Becki the original rent for our building is really over $2000/mo but the owner is the guy that kept stalking me to come work for him and it never felt right...and then I remembered back to day one of talking with him before we moved and how I thought that maybe this was how we'd get a building and God kept him in my life until the time was right.

Sister Smith - I can't imagine life without God. The love, joy, peace, hope, mercy, grace...always being there for me through HIM.

He is so good.