Friday, August 28, 2009

Sick, long week, check book stolen

Yeah the title sums it up. I have been having terrible headaches and tightness in my chest. My blood pressure's been up and I've been stressed and drowning at work. But today I feel the best I have all week.

I know that's not the part you're wondering about. On Thursdays Brother Nowling does our bills and he called me at working saying I forgot to leave the checkbook for him. I told him I didn't have it. He said he put it in my purse Wednesday night as he was leaving for work so I could have money for the offering. I knew nothing about it and it wasn't in my purse. Levi remembered him doing it too. So we back tracked over all my steps Wednesday night. Going to the church twice, ransacking Jenna's car (I rode home with her) and mine and nothing. So he went to the bank and two checks had been cashed with an individual's name and business on it that we had never heard of. The checks equalled up to over $200. We flagged all the number sequenced checks in that book and put a flag on our account so no checks can go through without us being called and proving ID. He then proceeded to go file a police report, actually two. One for fraud and one for forgery. Had to go back to the bank (after paying $12 for the police reports ~ how wrong is that) and was sent to the fraud department. Then everything started really coming together. The first check was actually cashed Tuesday and the second Thursday at the AK USA bank right across from the church. It wasn't Wednesday night that he put it in my purse it was Sunday. I did take it out and write a check for the offering and as it was VLB service I was at the pulpit and I left it and all my notes on the pulpit. If you remember it was our 1 year anniversary in the building so we took church pictures before church. Jessa had to work late so Jenna took her picture afterward and was going to photoshop her into the picture. I was in the way at the pulpit so I moved leaving everything there and forgetting everything (not even thinking about the checkbook). I received a call Monday from the property manager of the building the church was in asking if we had blocked the door open, let anybody in that we didn't know, or knew if someone had followed us in. After declaring no she told three of the suites had been broken into Sunday night. On Wednesday night Brother Tim mentioned that he had gone over to the Church to pray on Monday and the door was unlocked. Jeremy had locked the door Sunday night, I was standing next to him, he went on a head and I double checked the door just to be safe so I KNOW it had been locked. The property manager told me today when they got the break in call early Monday morning and they checked all the suites ours wasn't locked but didn't show any forced entry like the others. But apparently they got in and took the check book. As far as we know that's all that's missing but we really weren't looking for anything so we'll have to check things out thoroughly this weekend.

So back to the bank, because the person that cashed the checks didn't have an account with AK USA they had to show ID and the bank has driver's license number, name, address and phone number. They're from Wassila (if their ID isn't fake). The bank is confident that they'll be able to re-coup our money and with the police's help catch the woman. Tomorrow morning I have to go to the bank to sign papers as it's my name they forged AND I believe the checks were time stamped so they can pull the surveillance camera's and get a visual as well. So wow...too many thing happening to us that you never thing will happen to you but only on tv or to someone else. In the end though maybe we'll also be able to catch who's been breaking into the building. This is actually the second time in a couple of months.

So it's been a long, sickly and wild week. I need to go return some things to JC Penney, and get some groceries. Tomorrow is a pot luck at our place as it's the Mack's last weekend with us before they head back, hopefully they'll be able to come along with Heather and Jeremy if Heather's feeling up to. I hope every one's praying for precious Heather. She needs a miracle.

Have a great weekend.

3 comments:

connie said...

Well, at least the Lord answered prayer and helped you find out about your checkbook. He is so faithful.

Vicki Smith said...

You had to PAY to file a police report??? That's crazy! Someone commits a crime against you and you have to PAY to report it? What's this world coming to?
I'm SO SORRY about all your woes. But just think about how glorious IYC and the Assembly are going to be! "The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory."
See you real soon!

J Nowling said...

I am relieved to know where it is and what's going on. We didn't have to pay to FILE the police report but as to get a copy of it to the bank.

They were commenting at work on how well I was handling it...it was a matter of I knew where my checkbook was, we were doing all we knew to do and it was just a matter of "I can't believe this is happening me" but PTL we got on top of it as soon as we did. I am so looking forward to what God must have in store for IYC and the assembly.