Monday, January 07, 2008

I Passed My Driver's License Written Test!

I know it's pathetic, I've been here over a year but still don't have an Alaska driver's license. But I needed to get a Social Security card (I lost it several years ago) and the Social Security office is always so busy. Before Christmas Brother Nowling and I went down and was there as soon as they open. I should've done that a long time ago as I was first in line and it took all of 5 minutes. I had another appointment too so I just made it work. Anyway, my SS card came last week so I determined to study and go take the test yesterday. I found the place all by myself, (with mapquest's help that is), filled out the paperwork stood in line for about 10 minutes got up there and they asked for my birth certificate. Ugh! I knew I needed that but I was so thrilled to have my SS card and nervous about passing the test, it never entered my mind. They were open until 6 pm so I went home, and woke Brother Nowling up because I couldn't find it. We had taken it to get my SS card and it didn't get put back in the safe. Ugh again. OK God, this isn't something I can chose to do or not do. Especially right now, we can't file for our PFD's (yearly money that Alaskan's get just for living in Alaska, after having been a residence for a year) without AK ID or driver's license. So I really began to pray. And there it was on my nightstand. Oh yeah now I remember putting it there...sheepish grin. I head back, walked right up to the counter, got right in and took the test (praising the Lord thinking, this isn't so bad). I second guessed myself on two, ugh! And two I had no idea on the answers, but I was allowed 4 wrong so I was ok but I still had two left. Thank the Lord they were easy ones and I did it. I passed on the first try. I've heard of some having to take it several times. So I got to finish things up, and they wouldn't give me my license. I needed my marriage certificate. I've been married for 25 years, my SS card has my married name on it...but it was different then my birth certificate so I MUST have my marriage certificate. So another inconvenience you say. WRONG! My marriage license is in a safe deposit box in Menomonie WI. Don't ask me why Brother Nowling chose to not close it, but it hasn't been a big deal. Other than our marriage license and a little money and some keepsake coins, there's really not much in it. But big deal it is, I NEED my marriage license. I walked away fighting the tears. I just want my Alaska driver's license and it's not happening real soon. Brother Nowling's going to call the bank tomorrow and see what he can work out. But yeah, I passed the test but still no driver's license. UGH!

3 comments:

Momma Tammi said...

Larissa would certainly be able to relate to what you have just gone through with your license. She took the written test and passed and set up her appointment for the driving test. Since her Canadian license expired two days before her driving test, I took her down to finish everything up. She had her marriage license, her birth certificate, her fiancee' visa...what else could she possibly need right? She passed her written test, went up to the counter to get her license and then they asked for proof of residency. Nope, you couldn't use your checks or your bank statement. How do you prove residency when you've just moved there and all of the utility bills are in your husband's name? She was so bummed. I took her home and when Darren woke up, he took her back with one of the utility bills and everything else she had originally taken and that was enough to prove residency for her. She was very relieved to finally have her driver's license. I'm really sorry that you guys left your marriage license in Wisconsin. We move no where without all of that stuff, but that was drilled into with the military so... Hope you are able to get your license soon. Congrats on passing the test though!

Vicki Smith said...

Good grief! What a mess. Bureaucracy - - ya gotta love it.

J Nowling said...

Well the bank says the only way we can get our stuff out of our safety deposit box is do it in person, no exceptions. Ugh! We're going to try to send for a duplicate license from the courthouse in MN. We'll see. I feel for Larissa. I actually though the proof of residency so I took the checkbook, bank statment and utility bill (they are in my name for the first time as I found out I didn't have any personal credit). But I never got that far.