Friday, August 22, 2008

On My Way Home!

I am sitting at the Mpls. airport with Jody, Jessa and Joleesa. Jenna is already in the air on her way home. It has been a very loooooong week. Thanks to everyone for their prayers. Things went better then I expected. All my brothers and sisters were at the funeral. 22 of the 27 grand kids and I think 3 of the 20 great grand kids. There were also several of our friends from The Church of God of Prophecy that I have not seen for years. I had so many people coming up to me and hugging me that I knew I should know, but had to take time to place them (family and friends a like). My oldest sister's first husband (her kids dad) was there and got in my face, and was hugging me and I'm like, "I have no idea who you are". When it finally clicked as I saw my nephews and niece by him, it was wow, you've got to be kidding...when he said he didn't remember me being this short, we then figured oh yes I was because the last time I saw him I had to be about 8 years old.



We haven't had ALL 7 kids together for YEARS so we actually did a family picture. I'll post it later.



Let me start from the beginning...the Lord worked a miracle as I got on the first flight out Sunday, the only available seat for a couple of days. Jody, Jessa and Jenna wound up flying to Fairbanks and then Mpls on Monday, getting in Monday evening. I rented a car (and a GPS-we bought a Magellan from Brother Werkheiser, and I brought it but we couldn't figure it out in Alaska as it didn't have any AK maps on it; I was so exhausted Jody just told me to rent my favorite Garmin). My dad was exhausted from the stress of meeting with the funeral home so I just went on the Thompsons where these precious people allowed my family to take over their home. Monday, Mitzi was dealing with the doctors setting up Autumn's consultation. The phones were something as Mitzi's, Autumn's and my phones were ringing like crazy that morning. When they headed out to the doctor's I headed out to Walmart to buy my dad some new clothes for the funeral and then over to my brother Norris' house where dad and my sister Darla were staying. About 4:30 pm I headed to get Jody, and the two girls. Like I said I rented the car so I had to do the driving. Tuesday we headed back to my brother's then to my mother-in-law's, then to the airport to get Jenna and then back to the Thompson's to their almost empty house as Autumn had her surgery and they were keeping her overnight. She came through it good, though they not only took thyroid because of the cancer but two lymph nodes that looked abnormal.



Wednesday was the funeral. Oh how stressed I was starting out. We got my brother's a little after 10 am, I hemmed my dad's pants (he's the same height as I am, and like me all his pants need hemmed~although he usually rolls them, but I wouldn't let him). The dad, Jessa and Jenna and I headed to the church while Jody (who now had his mom's car, headed to get his mom). My mom loved stuffed animals, dolls, and toys that sang, danced and made noise and she had quite a collection. We displayed them in the church foyer as whenever went to see mom, she always had to show you her newest toy. We also set out several pictures. Then the people began arriving. The hardest part of the whole day for me so the viewing. I didn't want to look at her, and remember her that way. Jessa and I sang "Near the Cross" with Joleesa playing the piano and Jenna read a poem that my wrote. When my brother and sister asked about the girls singing, I wasn't sure Jessa would do it alone and I said I would sing with her, their response are you sure you can get through it. Have you ever had something you just felt you HAD to do. This was it for me. Though the tears fell as I was singing, I was able to keep my composure and sing ok and it reminded me that I had to stay near the cross as to be able to see her again some day. My nieces read scriptures, my one nephew played my mom's 1912 saxophone, though he struggled in parts, he made that thing ring out as clear as my mom had done for years. He did awesome. My one nephew was asked by my dad to pray and share comments. He started out struggling through tears with the prayer (he's a youth minister for the community church where the funeral was), but then he had us laughing and crying later. He did great. My niece and nephew (Darla's daughter) who are worship minister's (I think that's what they do), led the congregational song. Then a former pastor of my dad and mom's from TCOGOP

We then had a short interment at the cemetery and then back to the church of a luncheon. Several had assisted my nephew as he put together a slide presentation of my mom. Once again the tears fell. My family then went out with my oldest sister's family from Oklahoma to Caribou coffee and visited for a couple of hours. We had many laughs reminiscing but more importantly, I feel some things were cleared up that had separated us over the years.

Thursday we headed to Wisconsin to close our safety deposit box and visit with our dear church sister there and another friend. Then we headed back to Thompsons where Autumn was just getting home as she had a rough time with the pain medication so they kept her another night. The Thompson house is always open to friends and family (just as is ours) but they had a revolving door as different ones check in on Autumn. Continue to pray for her though the final diagnosis is good, this girl is use to being strong and active and this has taken it's toll on her and she's not use to being so weak and having the tears come so frequent, but she's strong in the Lord.

All in all, the week held many miracles, and the presence of God. Thanks again for all the prayers. Please keep them coming as we get through this day. We've got the keys to the church building waiting for us when we get home. We are anxious to get back to normal, with great anticipation for the church as we WILL have our first Sunday in the building this Sunday.

Then my dad wants to come visit us. He couldn't before because of my mom but he asked if maybe we could pull it off in Oct. That means someone having to go down and get him and take him back, and NOT flying standby with him. But he is so excited about it that he was telling everyone. Remember he has immacular degeneration, so he is almost blind. We want him to see God's beauty in Alaska while he still has some sight to do so. So though flying is the last thing I want to think about, I've got to get him up here.

Thanks again, and the next time you'll hear from me I'll be home. YES!!!

1 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

What a busy, busy time. How wonderful that the Thompsons would open their home and especially under the circumstances with Autumn. I've been praying for her and for you. I'm happy your Dad is planning a visit. How fun!