Sunday, October 14, 2007

What A Relaxing Weekend!

Jody and I really had what turned out to be one of the most relaxing times we've had in years. Actually, there was times I went stir crazy bored. We went to Chena Hot Springs resort. My boss really really encouraged (as did his boss) us going there when everything fell through for Minnesota. So the cost wasn't going to be much different then the standby airline tickets on Northwest and the rental car...the difference is we had to eat out versus staying with family and friends. Anyway, what I didn't realize was this resort was a "WILDERNESS" resort. And we were in Fairbanks. Cold Fairbanks where there was already snow. Brrrrrr~ Only four tv channels (Disney, CNN, the weather channel and a QVC like channel), no internet, no cell phone service, no phone in our room (there was public telephone that we used our cc to let the girls know how to get a hold of us if they needed to). It wasn't winter enough to enjoy winter sports, but too cold to enjoy being outside. Jody worked all night Thursday night so after flying in we rented a car (a 2008 Ford Edge ~ oh I really liked it) and headed to the North Pole, a quaint little town (and I mean little) that has candy cane street lights and Christmas signs and decorations up year round, and then Santa Claus' house (huge gift shop). We were there for about 20 minutes. We then headed the 60 miles to the resort. We checked in and Jody had to sleep. That's ok, I'll read. I read a lot, I actually finished a book in two days. I don't remember the last time I did that. I finally couldn't read any more so I woke him at 6 pm and we went over to the restaurant for supper. Awesome food. I ordered a bowl of vegetable soup and Jody ordered the fish and chips. Oh the best Halibut...ahhhh he shared with me. We then went back to the room, we played some cribbage and he slept some more and I read some more. Then finally fell asleep on what I think is the hardest beds ever. My hips and back have never hurt so bad. We got up early Saturday morning to check out the rock pool hot springs...no one around. Awesome. About 9 degrees outside and 146 degree hotsprings. The fog, the colored lights, the hoar frost on the trees, the clear water, the sulfur smell. An awesome experience and sight. We had the whole springs to ourselves...but we didn't want to take any chances so we only stayed in for about 45 minutes. It was soooooo cold going in and coming out (my hair froze) but while in it, it was sooo awesome but I really got overheated, as I got real dizzy, flushed and my heart was really racing, even after showering and all. We went for breakfast before the gas fireplace and I drank lots and lots of water, and I started feeling better. We took a drive around the Chena River area and took some pictures and then went back to our room played some more cribbage and Jody slept some more and I read some more (I wanted to sleep but the bed was way tooo hard). After reading for two hours I woke Jody up and had to go for a walk or something. Then we went out to the ice museum which was awesome and then supper at the restaurant. I took the comforter off and folded it up to sleep on, but it didn't help...I think the floor actually would've been more comfortable.

I know it sounds like I didn't enjoy myself, but I did. It felt like a second honeymoon (we stayed at a resort in Lutsen, MN for our honeymoon). It felt sooo good to leave life behind, and be with the man I love more each year. BUT I am one who rarely does just "one" thing and to have SOOOO much time on my hands...I had a time dealing with it. I could see why my boss encouraged us. He has a hard time understanding my life revolving around people so much. One of the last things I said to our new employee when he left on Thursday was "let Mark know I'll have my cell phone if they need me". Yeah, I'm sure he got quite the laugh.

It truly was a "new" experience for me and makes me ready for the business of life again.

I'll post pictures once Jenna get's done "fixing" them for me. I couldn't use the flash in the ice museum and I just left the setting on AUTO so she's doing some adjusting, surprised, NAH!

NOTE: Click on my profile picture to "ACTUALLY" be able to see it ~ smile, we can't figure out why it's so small but I love the picture.

2 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

We missed you in Minnesota. I heard your name mentioned several times, usually with someone saying, "I thought the Nowlings were supposed to be here?" But I'm so glad you had a good weekend and enjoyed yourselves. You made some good memories you'll always keep. Neat!

Momma Tammi said...

Glad to hear that you had a wonderful time in spite of the rock hard bed. ~smile~