Sunday, May 18, 2008

Garage Sale Heaven!

Yesterday before I left work one the girls in the billing office told me about a neighborhood garage sale that would be going on today and in a wealthy part of town. I actually had an idea of where she meant so I called Joleesa to see if there were some things she wanted me to try to find for her IF I went. I met her at McDonald's and she gave me her list and some money. I got up at 7:30 am ON A SATURDAY mind you. Did a quick cleaning of the living room, kitchen and bathroom (the youth were meeting here for devotions before heading to the zoo for their monthly activity) as I knew it needed to be done. At about 9 am I headed out the door with the monster truck (which I haven't driven for a VERY long time; but I'll start driving it regularly next week as I only work a mile away and we've been spending $100/week for gas on the truck, so Jody will drive my car - Sorry I'm digressing). I'm looking for a night stand, dishes, lamps, kitchen utensils, living room chair, and possibly a kitchen table for Joleesa and a book shelf for Jody. I decided to call Tim and see if he was doing anything as I thought this would be a good way to spend some time with him (as I don't do that very often) and it was a beautiful day and I would be going right by his place. I woke him up but he said he'd be ready when I got there. I picked him up and headed over. Talk about a neighborhood sales. Blocks, and blocks, and blocks of sales. Cars parked on both sides of streets for several miles in a neighborhood with homes worth at least $500,00+. Just looking at the homes was fun, navigating the monster truck through the streets was not. We went a long way before we found parking and then began to walk. It was actually overwhelming. I'm glad I had a purpose...certain things to look for and that was it. I was so good, I didn't look at any clothes. It was awesome. Stopped at a sale before we got to the neighborhood with all the sales and saw a nightstand for $18. It was really nice, but our first sale, $18, told the lady we may be back. Then we got to the main sales the First thing found was a set pans for $5 in excellent shape. The I found Joleesa a glider rocker for $8. PTL! Can't beat that. It was actually funny. We walked up and Tim pointed out the chair. I kept saying, I want it, I want it as we walked. There was another couple looking at it and under my breath I was praying "don't buy it, don't buy it". The lady sat down and Tim walked around them to see the price on the back, he said $8, I raised my eyebrows. Oh how I wanted it. Then the man sat down (no!). Good ole Tim came right out and asked if they were going to buy it. The man asked if we wanted it...I said my daughter just moved into her own apt and didn't have any furniture, he looked at the woman and said good, you can have it, she said I want it, you need it you can have it. PTL! Tim goes and gets the truck and loads it while I keep looking. We then drive through the throng (Tim's driving by this time), stopping and jumping out on occasion and then we found this beautiful oak, round table. Not Joleesa's taste but mine AND it had a large leaf to it. I can give her ours, and we take this one, holding my breath on price, only $30! YES! But what do I do for chairs...a sale or two down the road, 4 chairs that matched the table for $15 total. God you're good. Time's getting away from us as we have the youth activity at 1:30, still need a night stand and bookcase. Bingo, good size book case, $5. It'll work. Just fits in the truck that we have parked in middle of the street loading with a line of cars behind us. What about the night stand...that's the main thing she wanted. We saw several but nothing like that first one for the money. So It's noon, let's see if we can find where the first sale was and pray it's still there. IT WAS!!! God is absolutely awesome. We need to go. There are still lots of places we didn't stop, but I was out of money any way so...on to the zoo! AND there's always next year, as they have this every year the weekend before memorial day. Pretty cool!

This was my first time to the Alaska zoo. It was a beautiful, peace walk around the zoo. It cost $10. Was it worth it, only because the youth were together. No monkeys, no giraffes, no elephants, the list goes on. Micah and Jenna kept telling me it's Alaska. They have to be able to survive through Alaska's winters. I know, but it just didn't seem right. Kind of like the long daytime hours...it's 11:30 pm and still light out. Anyway, some of the youth came back to the house. They unloaded my table, which fits perfect and I love and so does Brother Nowling. Then they headed hiking. Some of them were prodding me to go and I knew my limit and declined. After eating Megan's chile that she was kind enough to bring over and really tasted pretty good, they headed out while I studied my SS lesson and worked on my youth service. Then they came back and Joleesa and I went grocery shopping while the rest went to Micah's and Megan's for snacks and movie. All and all a good day full of beautiful weather and many blessings. Now we just got get Joleesa's stuff taken to her place (up 3 flights of winding stairs~ugh). Oh and by the way, we'll be playing musical tables as our table is going to Jessa and Jenna's place (as it was actually given to Jessa several years (another story) and she really still wanted it. Joleesa will in turn take the table and chairs that Jessa bought. The switch fits better in the apartments accordingly and all the girls are happy.

Oh and by the way, another answered prayer. Joleesa gave her two week notice at McDonald's last night. Her store manager talked to her today and said if she wanted to come back in the fall, he'd be happy to have her come back.

God is really good. We're going to have a GREAT service tomorrow, I just know it. I pray everyone else does to.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love to go yard selling! I got Ricky & Megan a baby bed, high chair & car seat dirt cheap and in good condition. I'm putting in a children's library in my office for the grandbaby and I probably bought over 50 books. Sister Connie Werkheiser and Sister Janet Talley came up and helped me. You should have seen the Werkheiser's van by the time we finished for the day. Fun stuff! Love ya. Kim

Momma Tammi said...

Sounds like you hit the mother lode. Great shopping!