Monday, November 17, 2008

What Would Jesus Do?

I really had to ask myself that question today. With the many changes in our office from accounts being switched and commissions being changed things aren't as clear as they use to be. To make a long story short there was an ad that I initially gave the quote for prior to the changes made to my former boss' position. When everything came down today my former boss tried to insist it should be his. He made some very lame reasoning and all. Bottom line was it qualified to be on my desk but I knew if it was to stay there I would have literally fight for it. It was over $7000 of revenue for this month with more coming throughout the next year. It would've made a big difference in what my commission be. Though the facts showed it should be on my I kept hearing Mark's arguments and hearing almost a desperation in his voice (he is experiencing a big difference in pay, I'm sure and has a big mortgage payment as he lives in one of the ritzier parts of town). He's been at ADN for 31 years and though there's several reasons for the demotion, it's still got be rough. BUT the account really was mine. If I didn't just give it over to him, I would have to go to the VP of advertising, who is so overwhelmed that he doesn't have time to blow his nose (and leaves for a week of vacation on Friday) as to keep it. I literally sat at my desk asking the Lord to show what HE would have me to do. Not was fair, but what was the best witness in this. So I gave it to Mark. Though I was really disappointed that he (Mark) made it come to this I felt at peace about having done it. Then only moments later another order came in that has always been mine but they hadn't advertised for months, and I had to ask him a question and after he answered it he asked me if I was going to keep it on my desk. Shockingly I told him it always had been on my desk and never was considered national. His response was just ok. Ugh!

Anyway, every now and then we have to remember good work ethics even need the help of the Lord. I still feel good about what I did and now I need to just keep a good attitude going forward. I know God will provide for me and I will NOT have a dog eat dog mentality. God's been good to me in my job and I know He'll continue as long as I keep a Godly attitude.

4 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

Amen, sis. Regardless of what we see with our eyes and hear with our ears in the natural, God is the TRUE Provider. It doesn't matter what ads are "yours" and what ads are snatched away--God is the One Who provides. Praise the Lord!

Amy Anders said...

Amen! God has shown us love and we have to do the same; show love so that they can see Christ in us.

Tammy Washburn said...

You may be more of a blessing to the man than you ever realize. You have God to supply your needs, he may not. We rest in His providence and try to "prove Him" to others.

Netty said...

WWJD? Bobby asked me that about a situation one time and I said that He'd zap 'em with a bolt of lightening! I guess maybe your version was more Christ like than mine. LOL!!
Money is money and our Father, well He has it all!
Good choice!