Thursday, September 11, 2008

2 Years Today

At 6:30 pm Alaska time, 2 years ago to day we arrived in Alaska at this place we call home. We wondered if it would ever really be "home". I am still in awe at the beauty of Alaska. I still get "lost" in town, but it wouldn't matter where I lived that would happen. I am considered one of the "veterans" at the office (only two other reps have been there longer than I and only by 2 and 3 months). I have had a good 2 years on the job with much growth, and having won many prizes and bonuses.

But the reason we came is for the work of the Lord and pastoring the Anchorage church. This last year was definitely full of ups and downs for this church. But it has been awesome seeing these young adults exercise their faith. The relationships I've built with several of them are so very precious to me. These last few weeks in our new building have been exciting. The new year holds so much anticipation for me. I believe our young people are going to really grab hold and work for the Lord in ways they never have before. Every year I think maybe I should let go of working with the youth, but God will not release me. The last few weeks my body has been feeling it's age (and weight of course) and I wonder can I really do another year. But my heart is still 100% in there with them. I just pray they aren't tired of this "old lady" attempting to lead them. I can only pray, that with God's help, I can help them to reach for greater faith and produce fruit from their labors. I love them as if they're all my own. I share their heartaches and their joys (and some of them don't even realize it). But I try to allow them to be youth and just be their when they want me, or when they need me.

The last words my mother said to me when I spoke to her the Tuesday she passed away, was "I love you, and I'm praying for you but I'm not worrying about you because I know you're doing God's work". Alaska is definitely where He's placed us beyond a shadow of a doubt. One of my greatest joys was hearing Joleesa say that she really loved Alaska (she really didn't want to move). Alaska is definitely home. I have no idea for how long, and I know their be more frustrations and sorrow, but I'm where the Lord wants me for however long He wants us here.

God has been good to us in this beautiful state of Alaska and He has sooooo much ahead for us in this next year.

1 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

I'm so happy you're so happy! God can make you content ANYWHERE if you're in His will. He just doesn't have to work as hard for it to happen in Alaska. ;-)