Sunday, September 28, 2008

God's blessing!

We couldn't have asked for more beautiful weather for our anniversary. I didn't get out of work as early as I was suppose to, but it was ok, because I won $50 cash for making the first sale of the day, and decided that since I was already late, I might as well stay round and collect it. God is good. When I got home, Jody and I headed first to the church as we picked up the American Flag and the poles, stands and toppers today. The Church flag came Thursday so he took it to the flag pole place to get it put on correctly, etc.

I need to back up, we had originally received the flag that was part of the flag program, but it was an outdoor flag and it wouldn't work for us. I emailed Brother Werkheiser and asked him to go ahead and send us the 3x5 indoor flag with fringe and express mail it so we could have it for the Adam's baby's dedication. We figured we pay for it and take up an offering later as to cover whatever we could get. Every church we have ever pastored, we have never had an indoor flag (outside one in Menomonie). This represents who we are and we have been so excited about getting it. Any way, Brother Nowling found a flag pole place here in town so he went and ordered the American flag and the pole, etc for the Church flag. We were literally shocked at the price (Tammy K. they are VERY expensive), but this was the finishing, and BEST touch for this space that God has provided in making it into His Sanctuary. Brother Werkheiser had emailed and said they hoped it would be there Friday or Saturday as that's what they were told. Fortunately it came Thursday, but it came certified mail and Brother Nowling was sleeping so they didn't leave it so he had to go down to the post office to get it. Fortunately it was at the airport one that stays open until midnight so he just went on his way to work. Oh, but I need to back up again...(sorry~grin) as I was leaving for work Thursday morning, my cell phone rang from a number I didn't recognize, I answered as I was going out the door and this woman's voice says "Sister Nowling, I just wanted to tell you somebody paid for your church flag. You'll receive a bill in with flag, but just ignore it as it's been paid." I was in shock and fighting tears. I had to ask who I was speaking to and then thanked Sister Wendy. God is so good. And so is the precious person that paid for this special gift. So back to our Friday; I didn't want to leave town without seeing them. They looked awesome, although our ceiling was too low to fit the cross topper on so we had to saw the poles down.

Back to our anniversary trip now. We decided to eat the Double Muskie. It is famous for their steak and is in Girdwood. About an hour away. They don't take reservations but they said there were tables open and no waiting list at that time. By the time we got there an hour later, the 40 minute wait they told us turned into 1 hour and 45 minutes (and we had to stand the WHOLE time ~ ugh). We were standing by the men's restroom and a lady and kept joking with Jody that he needed to charge for the guys to go in and that way our supper would be paid for, or he should hold the door knob when they were coming out. He was too chicken and wouldn't do it. It was a long wait, and usually we absolutely wouldn't wait, but we were there and it was our anniversary. This restaurant was weird. It wasn't very big and the tables were jammed in to fit as many people as possible. But their decor was everything and anything plastered on every inch of space on the walls AND the ceiling. It kind of was a Louisiana flavor...with other strange things missed in. When we did finally eat we ordered their Peppered steak (it was huge, I think 16 oz), baked potato, salad and jalapeno bread. It was worth the wait. We then went on to Cooper Landing to The Hutch B&B (which is really a 3 story lodge). It was a beautiful, clear sky night so the drive was great. We got their about about 10 pm and just wanted a comfortable bed. The man was really friendly. When Jody asked what floor we were on and he said 2nd, I groaned. Remember we stood for almost two hours. I've been having a lot of problem with my back and hips and Jody twisted his knee the other day, so we really didn't want stairs. The groan was enough, the man says, "oh it's late, and out of season, take this room" and opened the door right next to the lobby. It was a roomy room (smile) with two double beds (I had reserved a queen bed). It was very nice. As we got ready for bed, I used the bathroom and upon flushing the toilet it over flowed. Jody wouldn't let me get the guy as we weren't dressed, so he took the plunger to it and we had plenty of towels so we cleaned it up. Though the bed wasn't a queen it was a VERY comfortable bed. We got up at about 6:30 am, had coffee and muffin, visited with the owner's wife and a couple that were guests and then started on our way. Temperature was 35 degrees but the sky looked promising to warm up. We ran into some hard rain along the way but not for long. It was a beautiful, clear day that required only a sweatshirt (I don't know what the temperature got to). We stopped at a couple of shops along the way and then headed to "the spit". A finger of land that protruded out into the bay. The bummer of it was almost, all the shops and restaurants on the spit were closed for the season. BUT Land's End Resort was open. We had an awesome lunch of fish (halibut) and chips with a window view of the bay. We saw the volcanoes and beautiful colors. I'll post pictures later. We saw the fairy loading so I pulled out my magazine and saw that it goes to this small island called Solvia (?). It leaves at 11 am on Saturday and comes back at 5:15 pm. I so wanted to go. Jody's response, we didn't plan it. So!!!! And he just drove on. I started with an ugly attitude until he said if you really want to go I guess we can, but I could see his ugly attitude starting so I said it would be no fun if he wasn't wanting to go and we left it at that. Later he said we would have to plan on it some time when we weren't having to be back early. Ugh! Why didn't he just say that. We had to get back to do some things to get things ready for church because of the dedication and baby shower(Sister Twana convinced Heather to let us give her shower, so it'll be following the morning service). AND it dawned us that we had to give ourselves plenty of time to get in case we ran into any problems we'd have time to deal with them and still get back, as we were the only ones that have keys for the church. Like I said, why didn't he just say that in the first place. Anyway, we drove around Homer a little more and then about 2:30 pm headed back.

God blessed us with such beautiful weather after days of rain. We felt like we in a golden state as the yellows were so vibrant (we don't get the reds and oranges here like we did in Menomonie). The rivers had the blue/green glacier color, the mountains had the greens and golds. It was all just majestic.

It was a good weekend and now I need to get to bed as to get up early enough to get the rest of the stuff together for the shower tomorrow. I am so looking forward to the wonderful service we're going to have. We will be blessed to have both the Adams and the Macks as well as Lillian. Most our church people haven't even seen her. I just saw her for a few moments myself. And then of course it'll be good to have her parents Jeremy and Heather there as it's been several weeks since they've been out. Most importantly I am confident our Lord is going to pour His blessings out in a wonderful day with Him.

3 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

Sounds like a great trip. Praise God. The leaves aren't changing around here yet. I talked to Becki earlier today and she's been driving through the Colorado Rockies where the aspens are bright gold. I'm so jealous. *pouting* --I'm pretty sure I had the halibut when I ate at that restaurant on the spit. You didn't mention the bald eagles. They were there, weren't they? The lady that feeds them is famous! (If she's still alive, that is.) --Alaska. What a WONDERFUL place!

J Nowling said...

Actually there I think we saw a total of 3 eagles. We were told it was just a little to early. We saw several moose (one dead) and several swans. But that was it.

The Middle J said...

you failed to mention what your daughters did for you :-P i feel so unappreciated :p