Friday, March 20, 2009

Lay Offs

Well today the newspaper that I work at laid off another 47 people. Last September they laid off 30 some people and in July 40. The letter hit our emails just before 11 am of the cost reduction plan and letting us know that individuals to be laid off would be notified today. Some would be laid off, those departments needing to cut 2 or people would be offered a buy out for those would volunteer and if there weren't enough volunteers, then they would be laid off by tenure.

It didn't end there. Almost everyone else was given a mandatory wage reduction (including me). If you made $25k-$50k your pay reduction was 2.5%, $50k-$100k got 5%, over $100k a 10%. It didn't effect anyone hired after January 1st or anyone making less than $25k.

Still a possibility out there if revenue doesn't pick up, is mandatory 1 week furloughs. So far it's not implemented so I don't know how it would work.

To say the least it was a strange day, as one by one we were called in by ad director. Us in sales were pretty confident it didn't mean lay off, but it was matter at that time, what type of pay reduction we were in for. There were those in other departments that were laid off even if they had been employed for more than a decade.

I'm grateful I still have a job, but I do wonder if I made a mistake in not accepting Mr. Wong. I also, received a phone call from a former co-worker who is now the admissions director for Charter College here in Alaska to tell me about two different openings at the college, both of which sound very appealing. It's like, not a decision again. I'm going to look into it and I'll see where I'll go from there.

It's pretty grave thinking where the economy is at. I'm so glad my trust in God and He will never see the righteous forsaken. He's proven that over and over again.

If you think about, please pray for all those that lost their jobs.

3 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

As Christians we should not be alarmed at the uncertainty all around us. We know that it's not our "jobs" that give us security and it's not the "paycheck"--it's GOD who supplies all of our needs. If the current job and/or paycheck vanish, God is still there and He is still in control. He will supply our NEEDS. Maybe not all our wants, but He supplies all we NEED. If the entire economy collapses and people have no other security, will they turn to God? That's my hope. If the current conditions cause people to acknowledge the Lord and realize they need Him after all, and if this brings us closer to the Lord's coming,I'm SO EXCITED!!! I'm anxiously awaiting to see what the Lord's going to do next!

Momma Tammi said...

The state of Washington has decided that they must cut back on jobs and a mandatory two week furlough is in the prep stage. Working for the college is a "state" job therefore I could be one of those cut. It has everyone in the bookstore totally wigged out. You see them standing around talking in hushed whispers, wondering if their jobs will be one of those cut. Different ones have talked to me about it and I just stand there with a doofy looking grin on my face and they ask me why I'm not stressing and I get the opportunity to tell them that it is because God meets all of my needs so I don't have anything to worry about. We are to be at peace in the midst of the storm so that we can minister to those who have no peace. This is such a great opportunity to minister, but in order to do so, others must see that peace in our lives. Let it shine for them all to see!

J Nowling said...

You know it's always the unknown that brings on the "whispers". If only I could count the number of times I told people how thankful we all need to be as we still have our jobs. Today they'll release the names of the 47 that were laid off, so I know there'll still be a heaviness in the place. I do pray that the Lord will not let me miss a single opportunity for Him.

I'm not "fearing" what's taking place, as God has ALWAYS supplied all our NEEDS. It's something to be a "part" of it as it really will "prove" your testimony. If that makes any sense at all.