Friday, September 08, 2006

ANOTHER 608 MILES

First let me apologize that I'm not able to look or comment on blocks. Our internet time is limited.

Jenna has covered most the things on her block. The Canadian border was frustrating for me as I could've prevented some of the hassel if I would've thought of the fact that we would be re-entering the US in Alaska. As Sis. Tammi knows I checked the regulations for fire arms for Canada but I didn't for the US. So we got sent back to the US side to register our guns (which are soooo old that we couldn't find #'s on some of them). Then had to go back through Canada and file them with Canada. Both sides were very nice and helpful but we lost about an hour and half therefore missing out on time with the Dorans that met us. I was so exhausted that I think I said only a half a dozen words to them. Jacob and Bekah, thanks for meeting up with us. I'm soooo sorry it didn't work out better. We did get to do lunch with Caleb and Mandi Alexander in Montana and that was really nice.

North Dakota was barren until the last few miles of painted Canyons. They were breath taking. Montana was golden fields of prairie grass for miles and miles. Then in Canada there's been nothing spetacular until the last couple hours tonight. We stayed in Lethbridge last night and Grand Prairie tonight. It is very difficult to find hotel rooms and they are costly. We began the foot mountains tonight and will continue through them tomorrow. We have been trying to travel 600 miles each day, but the mountains will slow us down considerably. That and the fact that we must stop at about 4:30 pm for safety purposes as well as to be able to get hotels. We hope to travel to Laird (sp?) where there are hot springs.

Each day we have lost time one way, or another, day 1 - brake problems, day 2 - border, day 3 - finding a bank to convert our money and finding a grocery store to buy sanwich makings as to save money. Though we lost time, the breaks helped a very long day in the vehicles.

I thank the Lord for His safety. I will say four days in small spaces, tired, bored, etc. calls for a bit of getting on each others nerves. The Alaskan Highway starts tomorrow, so we'll actually get to SEE things and feel like this is more than a race to the finish.

Thank you all for your prayers...I miss your blogs; but I'll have lots of reading to catch up on. *smile*

3 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

When we moved from CO to VA it was just Brother Smith and me. We each had to drive a truck, pulling a trailer. Walkie talkies ensured our (my) survival. It took 4 days. On day 3 I just cried and cried. I was SO TIRED and I wanted to quit. I just wanted to BE THERE! But we were also under deadline to get to VA so we couldn't stop and rest. It was terrible. But God got us through. Your trip is much, MUCH longer, but God's grace and strength never runs out. Just find rest in him. At least you have enough people to talk to and you aren't having to ride/drive solo the whole way. You will eventually arrive and have a whole new mental album of memories to store. :-) Thanks for taking the time to update us on your progress. We're all praying for you guys and feel like we're riding along with you. ;-)

Momma Tammi said...

I am so glad that you got to stop and see the Alexander's and the Doran's. I still wish that you had been able to stop and spend the night here, but that route would have taken you through more curves than you would have liked with a truck and trailer. Grand Prairie is about 8 hours north of us.

I'm reliving our trip, last year, as you travel. There will be great memories and there will be some things that you will just rather forget, but all-in-all, you will be so very thankful when you can stop the truck, get out and only have to get back in to run errands. ~grin~ Praying for you!

SIS-MC said...

We are praying that you have reached your destination safely and that you are getting comfortable in your new home.
Can't tell you the times we have moved not knowing exactly where we were going or what type of housing we would have. God has always provided--and no doubt He always will.
God is faithful to His children.
Love and Prayers,
Samuel and Lois McMahon
3grands.blogspot.com