Tuesday, January 13, 2009

18 degrees above zero...

And it feels like spring. Well not quite. But it is nice to be out of the freezer. Regarding the smell in the house. It is so weird...it comes and goes. Some times it's so strong and then there are times we don't smell it at all.

In other news, we (being myself, and 8 of the young people) surprised Brother Nowling with a little surprise party. I had text everyone Saturday telling asking them to plan on going out after service to Village Inn (Brother Nowling's favorite restaurant as he likes the coffee). I asked them to bring cards and if they did get gifts, make them funny as after all he needs to know he can still have fun at 50. They did great. First off it was easy to make it a surprise as it wasn't unusual to go out after service, although it had been several weeks since we all did it. The only unusual part was no discussion as to where to go (we would some times be tired of Village Inn). Any way the cards were presented and they were hilarious. Then Micah and Megan got him and old person's survival kit (Raisin Bran, prunes, post-it-notes, a whistle, play money, rubber bands and I too close to 50, I can't remember the rest). He loved it. Then the girls I got him a new cell phone. A Leap frog one in an AT&T bag. He wanted a specific blue tooth ear piece and when he saw the AT&T bag he was so excited and he looked inside and what a sport, he didn't show a single sign of disappoint but cracked up laughing. But because I'm not that mean I then pulled out the real gift, his blue tooth ear piece. The girls and I went in together on it. I brought a DQ cake and gave it to the manager when I first came in (he went to the restroom making it so easy) so on my signal the waitress brought it and the manager brought out some chilled plates. All it went well. To top it off he had declared when we left the church that he wanted to leave by 10 pm and that we did.

We've got a great bunch. Oh and another neat thing. On February 7Th we would usually have our monthly Bible Study but we're having an Alaska USA financial advisor come in teach a class on finances. Getting out of debt, establishing good credit, fixing bad credit, and savings. Alaska USA is one of my advertising accounts and I met with the marketing director a couple of weeks ago and I was joking about needing an ATM machine at the church so our young people had money for the offerings and some how it led to the fact that they do these classes for all ages, all types of groups at no charge. So it's set. I hope to have more than just our people come. With the economy in the state it is in, the businesses that are prospering are your credit counselors. So this is very timely and I'm very excited.

3 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

Happy Birthday to Brother Nowling. (Sorry I'm late.) --How fun that you had a surprise party for him.
It's SUPER EASY to surprise Brother Smith because he's just SO oblivious! When he turned 36 and "graduated" from VLB age,it was a Wednesday night. His folks and sister had driven the 80 miles from their cabin to be in church with us that night. Brother Smith didn't even notice that everyone was wearing black that night a church or that the fellowship room was decorated with black streamers and balloons. After church we surprised him with a funeral. Brother Ray Adams (who wasn't even called to preach at the time, I don't think) conducted the funeral. We had Brother Smith go sit up front where the casket would be and Brother Ray read the eulogy and obituary and different ones stood and shared memories of the dearly departed. Then everyone filed by to view the "body." :-) There were a lot of funny memories and jabs at Brother Smith. Then we had a cake decorated like a graveyard with little tombstones all over it saying "RIP X-VLB." We planned it all and pulled it off without Brother Smith having the first clue. Fun!

J Nowling said...

First off Sister Vicki you're not late...his birthday is Thursday, 1/15 but he'll be in the air flying to Colorado. I love the idea of the funeral. That would so be Brother Nowling...just oblivious to it. Not be man...he stopped trying to do surprise parties on me as I blow every one of them for him. The sad thing is I LOVE surprises.

Momma Tammi said...

I had forgotten that my husband conducted Brother Smith's mock funeral...but I do remember it being hilarious as each one shared their memories.

Please wish Brother Nowling a very happy birthday from us.