Saturday, January 03, 2009

Enough is Enough!

I am tired of freezing. We have been below zero for I don't know how many days...too many for me. Yesterday the sun was shining and it looked like a beautiful winter day but it never got above zero.At 10 am today it was still -20 degrees. The HIGH is suppose to be -15. UGH! You can't function. Jessa and Jenna's water pipes are frozen, my car will only start if plugged in, we have to wrap ourselves in blankets if we're in the living room, our bedrooms are really warm but I don't want to stay in there forever. I can't even take my Christmas stuff down as everything is stored in our cold storage...which it's too cold to even open that door.
I've lived in cold weather climate pretty much all my life and I know this is Alaska but enough is enough!

I want to get away and do something. But where and what? Brother Nowling leaves for Colorado on the 15th of January to be the evangelist for their men's retreat and then do some preaching there. I am so happy he is getting this opportunity. I would go with him, but I was figuring out yesterday how many days off I need for everything this year. I think it's about 22. I need to go see my dad, which I'm going in February for a quick 3 day trip using my diversity day off. Then in April I need 9 days off for England. Three days off for camp followed by 2 days off for Jessa's wedding. Then 9 days for IYC and the assembly. I get 3 weeks vacation but I earn so many hours per month and you don't get to use it until you earn it. But I also get a wellness day for every 6 months I go without taking a sick day. All of that has helped. I think I have won a contest in December where the winner chooses whatever they want of value of $250. If I have won, I'm going to ask for two vacation days, which I can't imagine would be a problem. All in all though I still need to make sure I have the hours when I need them. So that is why I can't go with him.

Well, now that I'm done whining...I need to get some stuff done around the house.

3 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

I'm so sorry it's so COLD! It's just rainy here. Humid and rainy. It's a bummer that the bedrooms are warm and the living room is cold. I like it just the opposite. I love the bedroom to be chilly so I can enjoy snuggling under the covers. In Colorado we heated with the wood stove ONLY. We kept the bedroom door shut so it was nice and COLD in there. Hey! How about you close off the heater vents in the bedroom, forcing the hot air into the living room??? Might that help?

connie said...

But if it gets too cold in the bedroom, then you just want to continue to cuddle under the covers and can't make yourself get up and get dressed and going. Boy, there's always something!
It's -27 here and -57 chill factor because of the north wind... Brrrr. Ernie is making some more hot chocolate. Now he burned his mouth. He's adding marshmallows.
Like someone has said, When life hands you lemons, make lemonade...
Love you.
We're going to make it.
Thank God for houses and shelter. Thank God for electric to plug in our cars. (Of course, mine won't start today though.) Thank God anyway.
Thank God for food in the pantry so we don't have to go to the store.
"...the LORD hath his way in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds are the dust of his feet." Nahum 1:3
Thank the Lord because He is having his way.

J Nowling said...

I remember times in Duluth where it was -40 and -40 wind chill. Not fun. Jessa's car won't start, mine just barely started. Sister Connie you are so right, God has His way and gets us through these times. Washington has unexpected snow, along with other areas and then there's the rains. I've always laughed saying poor God, one prays for cold and snow and another prays for warm weather. Some times He can never please us. I sure know I've enjoyed the beauty of winter. Even today the sun shining on the snowladen trees making them have a pink glow, was gorgeous. We'll all make it as God has never let us down yet.

Oh Sister Smith, we moved our living room furniture around as to open one of the vents up more so maybe that will help. We've tried closing bedroom vents in the past, there's only one vent in two of the rooms and it really got cold in there. Hopefully this won't last too much longer.

We all appreciate any prayers that you all could offer up as would Sister Connie I'm sure.