Monday, January 05, 2009

Great Worship!

I am so proud of our people. Here it was -15 or so and anyone that wasn't working this morning was out. You may say well they've lived in Alaska longer than we have...but not so. We have Jeremy, Heather and Jackie who all came after we did. It was chilly in the church (and the restrooms were bone cold)but only a couple really complained. Not to say comments weren't made but not really as complaints. I felt so bad for Tim, Heather, Jeremy and Larry. The main door is locked after 6 pm and on weekends. We have to prop it open so people can get in (that is really the only complaint we have about our location). We use to use rocks but the snow had buried all our rocks. We have tried all kinds of things. With it being so cold we didn't want it open letting in cold air, we just needed it so it didn't shut tight, so most recently we have been using a plastic fork, which has worked most the time (although last Wednesday Jenna got locked out). Anyway, Brother Tim and text Brother Nowling that he was running late. We appreciated that he let us know. But then Brother Nowling received a call during SS from Tim, my phone is in my purse out in the sanctuary by Brother Nowling during SS and Brother Nowling called out to me and told me that my phone had been going off several times, so I went to check it and Tim had called and text me "If somebody would let me know I'd appreciate it, thanks". It didn't make sense so Brother Nowling said one of us would call him after SS. I go back to class and Micah's phone goes off and he says it's Tim so I told him to answer it. He was locked out. I felt absolutely horrible and I felt even worse when in walks Jeremy, Heather and Lily with him. Ugh! We have got to figure something out for that door. Larry left SS for a little bit and he wound up getting locked out. Was the enemy working or what. All in all we still had a good service.

The afternoon brought hot beef over potatoes, a power nap, Rummikub with Matthew and Jenna (which once again I didn't win even one game) and then we headed to the Dairy Queen before going to Church. Yeah, I've been complaining about being cold, but I've been craving ice cream and I had a coupon for a buy one get one free blizzard. So we went to DQ and I got the chocolate cherry blizzard and I ate the whole thing and I wasn't any more cold then before.

Then servie was great. Every one of our young people were out. With everyone's work schedule it has been a loooooong time since they've all been out. Here we have the coldest day of the year and they ALL were there as well as Matthew Peter (oh Jacob Grant wasn't there but he was in Bethel with his dad). We had an awesome worship service. The spirit was so precious in the place. As almost everyone worshipped. We sang Amazing Grace, My chains are Gone and that's when I really felt the "bonds" fall. Then Brother Nowling preached about King Agrippa and Paul. It was great how the Lord put it all together.

We still need you to pray for a break in this cold. Jessa's car hasn't started. Brother Nowling and Matthew have tried all kinds of things. Right now her battery is sitting in our sink. We need it warm up so her car can thaw out. I'll take even zero degrees.

5 comments:

connie said...

Isn't it funny how that after being so cold at -25, -5 or even 0 feels so much warmer?
LOL

Vicki Smith said...

So glad for your good services yesterday. As for the really cold weather and the getting locked out of the church incidents, they'll make great memories to look back on in the future. :-D

Momma Tammi said...

My poor baby girl got locked out of Sunday School. ~sticking bottom lip out~ Glad services were really good.

J Nowling said...

Sis Connie - We keeping saying once it gets below zero, it doesn't matter what the temp is. Cold is cold but yeah 0 would be a heat wave.

Sis Smith - Yeah memories of being locked out of church in below zero weather in Alaska will be like our memories of bats in the sanctuary in Menomonie ~ we think of them as bad at the time but you are so right, we now smile about them.

Sis Tami - I felt so bad that they all got locked out!!! I don't know how long it was that Jeremey and Heather and been there, hopefully not long.

belle said...

I would suggest putting a piece of blue painters tape over the latch because it would not leave residue, but in cold weather it probably wouldn't stick. Duct tape would stick in cold weather but might leave residue. You could stuff cotton or cloth or a balled up piece of paper in the door jam so the latch won't go in.