Friday, January 16, 2009

37 degrees in January in Alaska

The weather all over the United States is so crazy these days. We are basically experiencing a spring thaw, high winds, a ice laden roads, drive ways and parking lots. It's unreal. Sister Tammy, sorry about sending the cold weather your way, but the little bit of warmth here has been great! Our driveway was so icy I couldn't get up, so I had to park on the street and then brave walking up the drive way. Our driveway is on an incline so I was slipping and was so afraid I would fall. Joleesa was home so I called her cell to come help me...she didn't answer. I get in the house and I understand why, her cell is in the living room, she's in her bedroom and her stereo (bass in particular) is so loud she couldn't hear me yelling for her. UGH!

One of the sad things about the thaw, is the melting ice sculptures. Downtown center park artists spend hours and hours even in the bitter cold sculpting beautiful things from horses, to eskimos (I don't know what all this year as I haven't seen them this year yet)and they are melting. They had a "freeze" sculpting out at the air strip downtown also, and they are melting. These are gorgeous in the day light but I love them at night with lights shining through them.

Brother Nowling made it to Denver. Overbooked flights and him and Brother Tim still got on each flight. He's exhausted because he worked all night Wednesday night, caught the first flight from Anchorage to Seattle at 9ish, waited several hours in Seattle and then caught the Seattle to Denver flight about 6ish. So he had several hours in the airport, but when I talked to him about 15 minutes ago he was waiting for Jonathon Smith to circle around to pick them up. They'll be staying with him as he's closest to the airport I guess. Some time tomorrow they'll head off to men's retreat. Please remember him in your prayers. He so wants God to just annoint him and use him for His glory. He for so long has felt committed to his local church and didn't feel led to preach revivals when asked, but this time he is so certain that God wanted him to go. Now he just wants to get out of the way and let him have His way. Along with that, he needs to have some great fellowship and laughs.

3 comments:

cokelady said...

We're praying for Brother Nowling and are excited to hear good reports of God moving MIGHTILY at the Men's Retreat.

And I can just about guarantee the great fellowship and laughs with this bunch of guys! ;-)

marshasblog said...

WOW!! It's actually colder here in Kentucky than in Alaska. We had -3 below last night and believe you me that is COLD for us!! We don't hardly ever experience these temperatures. It is cold when it gets in the teens around so you can imagine what kind of shocker it is to us right now. They actually called school off the past two days because of the cold and we don't even have snow...(how sad) Well enjoy your warmer temps...and we'll hope and pray this cold here goes away fast!!

Vicki Smith said...

I've been praying for the Men's Retreat. I'm sure Brother Nowling will be blessed and BE a blessing. As for the fellowship and laughs--I GUARANTEE both. There's some CRAZY men in that Region who specialize in those areas. :-)
--Sorry about your high winds and escaping trash cans. I hope the weather settles down for you guys up there.