Sunday, July 16, 2006

Convention, youth program a thing of the past....

Wow the convention is now in the past. It was a very different convention then I've ever been to, for many reasons. One, we didn't get there until the afternoon session. Two, we hadn't seen or even talked with many of the people since February or March. Menomonie was on for the afternoon devotion. We got there while everyone else was at lunch so we were able to get unloaded and practice the songs for song service. I've not been that nervous in a loooooong time. The Spirit was there, but it wasn't "free". Sister Dee Wilson, our SS coordinator preached an awesome message on Ezekial and the dry bones in the desert and compared it to the Church. I was both shouting and crying. Before we knew it was supper time. I had to meet with the youth about there roles and then we had to get things set up for the youth program and we were all very hungry.

The props for the youth program were awesome. They turned out better than I could have hoped (minus just a couple minor things). Bottom line they looked thought provoking before you even knew what the message was all about. Here's how it went. (pictures will be on Jenna's blog with her take on things I hope) Rough crosses at the end of each pew with worldy signs above them (drugs, alchohol, sex, power, rebellion, etc-8 altogether, was suppose to have been 10 one of the minor things ~smile~). White runner going down middle aisle with "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil". At the end of the runner a big cross (which stood great in a christmas tree stand with a blanket wrapped around it). Going across the altar, on each side of the big cross (forgot the crown of thorns, another minor thing ~shrug shoulders)white crosses with the Church flag beside each one. Behind the cross hell's flames. All soldiers experience walking through the valley of the shadow of death, The World. Some succumb to the world, rough crosses. As our youth led by Sgt. Donte walked the valley of the shadow of death shining their lights (flashlights, not all had one - understand that message) on the crosses and their signs singing I have decided to follow Jesus with the last verse being the cross before me, the world behind me once they all got to the front pew. I spoke to them the soldier's dress, the armour being "one size fits all". The soldier's talk being confident and various soldier's shared their words of confidence (from the scripture), then the soldiers walk being a walk away from the the world, keeping the cross in focus. More than anything I wanted enough time for our soldiers to recommit themselves at the foot of the cross without going over time. I was petrified of going over time and I wanted the Holy Ghost to have His time with our youth. I only had an hour and then Brother Jackson was on to preach. PTL He did. After about 35 minutes I called the soldiers that would to the cross and the commander and chief took over. We had some of our soldiers wear the red, black and white and others wearing the t-shirts. Right at 7 pm we turned off all the lights (get this the altar work was done right at the close of my hour ~great big grin~). Throughout the program we had just stage lights on and the very back lights on, but I had them turned off at and asked what the people saw...the crosses on the t-shirts glow in the dark ~cool~ Even in the dark we must keep our eyes on the cross.

Did it go smoothly? Absolutely NOT! I was so nervous and about 5 minutes before we were about to begin 3 of our young ladies from the same family just got news that their grandfather passed away. They were sobbing hysterically (understandably). Brother Aviles had the whole congregation pray and then the service was turned over to me. Because of that the youth weren't organized, (another minor thing~grin~). Then as I went along I found myself changing how I brought things across ~ maybe over doing yelling out to our youth "I CAN'T HEAR YOU" ~smile~ Jenna can probably expound on that. Did the message get across, I think so. Bottom line the Lord took the altar service and that was my goal.

Then I ended telling the congregation about our call to Alaska and letting them know how much I loved them. Watching there faces was sooooo difficult. Then as I was cleaning up the props Bro. Aviles called Sis. Brenda Albizures up front and she had me laughing and crying both in the honor she gave me (Jenna will have to show you the gift of pigs I got ~lol). They also signed a card and took a love offering for me. All VERY unexpected but I sooooo appreciated it.

Then we decided not to stay for Sunday so the hugs and tears came. Each one cherished but very difficult. The Lord has someone else to look after our lambs though (Marissa - the daughter of Brother Blythe, former overseer of CA). I also hugged and cried on her neck telling her to take care of the precious youth in this region. I know God will help her.

We headed out with our hearts full but feeling the strings cut to this region. Forever in our hearts, minds and prayers though.

I'm sorry this is soooo long. There is sooo much I left out even (I know hard to believe). But I wanted you to know. All is well though. A new chapter will be opening.

By the way the heat was unbearable. They have just a room air conditioner and we were in the high 90's. It was miserable! After the youth program I could ring out my t-shirt and dress (I know TMO~grin). Anyway now were home in the heat with fans.

Please do pray for this heat to break and for rain. We have really been feeling miserable and we have so much to do.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How wonderful!!

Juls4Him said...

Sis, I've heard three reports so far that your program was the best thing at the convention. It impressed quite a few people from what I heard....they said it touched hearts. I was so glad to hear that since I knew you put your heart and soul and prayers into it (not to mention a lot of hard work!). Praise the Lord for His blessings! I'm sure it was really hard to leave that place but I know that many good things are ahead. May the Lord bless all you have to get accomplished this week!

Vicki Smith said...

That program sounds BEAUTIFUL! We would have LOVED to have been there. It would have been a huge blessing to us. We thank God for the Spirit we felt at the NC Convention, and the refreshing we got there.

The Middle J said...

I've got the pictures posted for ya'll :-)

J Nowling said...

I PTL for it was His program for the youth - there were some things that were big reminders to me. Read Probv. 4:14-19. As I was preparing my message that one really hit a chord for Everyone to remember.

Sis. Julie - Who all have you spoken to from our convention ~smile~ I'd be curious to know.

Juls4Him said...

I just saw this now....I didn't talk to anyone specifically who went to the convention. I was talking to some of the young people like Jared Nolan and others who always talk to each other and get the "scoop". The word was that the only thing that rocked at that convention was the youth program! I think mention was also made of Sister Dee's program. I've never met her...she is Sis Brenda's sister, I think???