Wednesday, June 28, 2006

The Camp decision - and mixed emotions

Well camp is cancelled. The pastors couldn't get committments from enough of the young people and we just wouldn't have the staff. I'm relieved and yet my heart is sooooo broken over it. 7 years of camp. I was the one that got it going after the re-organization. This would have been our third campground after 4 years at the Baptist campground they wouldn't let us return because we spoke in tongues. Then three years at the independent campground and it was being sold. 7 years of driving 4-5 hours to camp and this year it would have been only one hour and 15 minutes away. More importantly after close to 100 different youth coming to camp - this year, my last year in the region there won't be one. The year that our youth probably needed it the most there won't be one.

I asked the Lord to have the decision made for me and He did, the youth made it by not committing. Finances, jobs and wanting to go to the assembly were the reasons. I understand but please Lord let it not fall by the wayside again next year. Camp has been an outreach for this region. It's been a unified effort. A highlight each year. Why not this year! I don't know but God does.

The relief comes in financially for us to (we all have to pay $95, even me) considering the move. Relief because of how busy things are for us over the next couple of months. Relief because it's one less thing to stress over. The decision's been made. Tomorrow I call the campground.

We are going to use everyone's deposit and still get the t-shirts done as "Soldiers In Christ" was our year's theme as well as camp. I just won't have the "camp 2006" on them. That's kind of neat, at least they'll remember the year.

Now I can focus on the youth program for our convention on July 15th. I'm actually going to use some of my ideas that I was going to use for camp for it. I pray that in this short 1 hour time slot the Lord will change lives through the message of the cross.

Lastly, I'm greatful God has allowed me to continue being a part of the camping program as I was appointed youth camp and ladies retreat director for Alaska.

But Lord remember the youth of this region. Don't allow one to be lost. Bring back those that have fallen. Give wisdom to our leaders to gently, but firmly and lovingly guide them. I love them with my whole heart! Young people the tears I'm shedding as I write are for you. Each one has your name on it. Don't let go of the unfailing hand of our Lord.

5 comments:

Momma Tammi said...

Oh, Sis. Jada! My heart broke for you as I read your post. How you yearn to minister to those precious young people. May God comfort your hurting heart during this tough time. Your tears and prayers have not gone unnoticed by God.

J Nowling said...

During our first pastoral, with the Lewis kids, I learned I don't have to be the one to lead them through to whatever they need. Someone else may do it. I want to be there for them, but seeing as I can't, Lord please send someone their way.

There is one young girl that was a member of the Church. She tried to commit suicide several months ago. She has sense been disfellowshipped and isn't attending. She loved youth camp...I don't know if she would have even come but my mind and heart kept going to her.

Lord send this region your men and women for their hour.

marshasblog said...

Sister...My heart breaks for you as well. I know how much you love and care for those kids!! I know the feelings you must be feeling right now. God knows too. You all are definately in our prayers. We are going through much of the same things that you are concerning camp too!! Please keep us in your prayers also. We love you and I know those camp kids love you all too!!! (I could see it when we were there that year and how good of a role model you all are for them!! God Bless!!)

J Nowling said...

Our IA church is asking if we can have a youth convention seeing as we aren't having camp (our's was in October, combined with our ministers convention, with Suttons and some of their members as our guests). I've already considered trying to do something. I just need to wait until this weekend as to talk to Brother Nowling. Both churches are about 5 hours from us...so it's a matter of where and how. Brother Nowling's going to have to help with this decision. I don't know what we can handle physically, financially and emotionally. Thank the Lord for a Godly husband that understands my burden but that can think outside of it for me ~smile~

Juls4Him said...

I felt so bad for you too, with this decision, Sis. I had been hurting over Jeanette deciding not to try to come. I didn't push her any further and now I know why I didn't feel led to. Maybe she will come if there is something there in Iowa. Her husband's nephew (2yo) was electrocuted by a tv cord in a van while they were camping last week and she has been so distraught. But this family needs Jesus and I told her she needs Him fully running her life before she can help them. I'm praying for you to be led to what to do. I know the Lord is working and He sees your heart and your willingness!