Friday, June 09, 2006

How many times does one move in a life time?

As I was reading the comments I was suddenly reminded how many times I've moved in my life time. As a kid, I didn't go to the same school two years in a row until I got in the 8th grade and even then we moved in those last four years but just finally within the same school district. No my dad wasn't a minister. He was the father of 7 with only an 8th grade education that was always trying to find a better job to provide for his family.
You talk about hard moves...7 children, goats, dogs and I don't remember what else being moved from Utah to Minn. Actually we moved from Utah to MI, from MI to PA, from PA back to Utah and then from Utah to MN (all that took place by the time I was six). Once in MN the moving still continued.

Then after marrying, Brother Nowling and I moved 13 times in the first 11 years. Partly because of just starting out. Then because of the ministry. The funny thing is Brother Nowling had lived only a couple of places in MN and his travels consisted of MN and just across the border into WI. Oh how life changes.

Sister Tammi, it must have been something to have moved to and lived in Japan. It is amazing the roads we each travel and how those travels link us together.

When we were in Seattle waiting for our flight we kept getting bumped with another couple who had lived just 30 miles from us in Baldwin, WI and their family was still there. They were returning to home (Anchorage from Maui) where he was an associate pastor at an independent church. They have 3 girls 25, 23, and 20. ~isn't the world small~

So how many moves have each of you made? And how many states and/or countries have you been in (passing through doesn't count, you had to have spent time there to count it)? I think we'll find this interesting. Anyway I will *smile*

As you can tell my spirit is lighter tonight (thanks sisters and Jenna too *winks*). So I want to enjoy it!

3 comments:

The Middle J said...

I had to think about this- I am 20 and in my 20 yrs I've lived in...

2 States (MN&WI)
4 cities
5 homes
7 schools

all in the first 10 years of my life- We moved to Menomonie when I was 10 so we have lived here the longest...

I've traveled to more cities then I can count with dad as a child- the farthest west Ive been in CO and the farthest south I have been is Southern GA-

at least with Alaska I don't think I have to worry about moving for a long while -heehee- Though I think the traveling has just begun

Momma Tammi said...

Let's see...born in California, transplanted to Oklahoma at 6 months old, don't know how many different towns or houses I lived in before I was 2, but between 2 and 20, I lived in the same town but three different homes. After that...the moving really began.

Moved to Colorado and changed addresses 5 times within the first 2 years. Moved to Guam. Moved back to Colorado. Moved to Okinawa Japan and lived off-base then on-base. Moved to Oklahoma. Now I'm in Canada. I don't figure God prepared me with all that moving to leave me too long in one place, so who knows where else we may end up.

As for the states, the farthest east I have been is wherever Dulles International Airport is, my brain checked out again. The farthest west, I guess would be Hawaii, unless Anchorage is further west than Honolulu. Once again, my brain has checked out.

I've been everywhere man, cross the desert sands man...can't remember the rest of that crazy song...~hee hee~

J Nowling said...

Sis. Tammi - Dulles airport is Washington DC (one of my favorites places to visit. I hope to go again some day).

Sis. Smith - 4 states huh. Brother Nowling and were figuring which ones and we're missing one. We've got Idaho (dah!), Colorado and Virginia. What was the 4th one?

There's always something about returning home. No matter how much you enjoy each trip...just like Dorothy said "there's no place like home".